1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Anthem AVM 60 4K UHD & Atmos Processor Review

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Dave Upton, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Dave Upton

Dave Upton Audiophile
    Owner

Dave Upton
  2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    After reading your review, it doesn't seem like you're getting enough bang for your buck with this unit.

3. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    I don't know. It seems like a pretty positive review. It seems this $3K unit competes with $5-6K units. My one question is, to truly be in the league with those units, it needs to be fully differential, which I'm guessing it isn't. That isn't stated in the review. As far as I know, the other units you mention are.

4. Dssquared

Dssquared Auditioning

Dale
    Would this be sonically compatible with something like a Krell Chorus 5200XD? Would it, in other words, lessen the quality and clarity of a high end multichannel amp of that level?

5. Message #5 of 11 Nov 9, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    Dave Upton

Dave Upton Audiophile
    Owner

Dave Upton
    @JohnRice the AVM 60 is fully differential. And while I'm not positive, I believe that the AudioControl may be built on the same hardware. They're suspiciously similar, and we know AudioControl leans on someone else to manufacture their units.

@Dssquared you would be absolutely fine with this unit. In fact your Krell might be less transparent than the Anthem.

6. Dave Upton

Dave Upton Audiophile
    Owner

Dave Upton
    I wouldn't interpret it that way at all. You're actually getting great bang for your buck. You might get less of the "features" that Denon/Marantz offer like Spofity and Pandora integration, but you're getting a very high end processor.

7. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Fair enough! I'm not an audiophile so I seriously doubt I could even tell the difference audio-wise between this unit and a Denon/Marantz unit. However, the difference in features I can easily ascertain.

8. JohnRice

John
    Dave's right that this is actually a bargain. At least by the sounds of it. Units like this usually retail at $5K or more, instead of $3K. The Marantz AV7703 I use listed at $2,200 and it's not on the same level as this is.

9. Robert Crawford

Robert
    The same level in what regard?

10. JohnRice

John
    Well, being fully differential is a major factor. That means all electronics are duplicated. It is actually two preamps running positive and negative signals. Double the circuitry, which is costly. What's the benefit of that? Common noise is cancelled out. In other words, any noise generated by the circuitry is removed, since the other "side" creates identical noise that is reversed. They are brought together at the end, and cancel each other out. It's possible to carry this from input to output, so that all common noise through the entire chain is canceled out. My main HT is not fully differential from end to end, but is between components, or from my DAC to the amp, but not within the amp itself.

11. Robert Crawford

Robert
    See you're an audiophile so I can understand your ability to ascertain differences in performances between those specs attached to each piece of equipment. I'm a retired GM Manufacturing Manager that had to wear ear plugs for much of my 36 years manufacturing career. I'm no where near being an audiophile, even, in my younger days.

12. JohnRice

John
    A big factor is that the front speakers in my main HT are ruthlessly revealing of flaws in electronics. Almost to a fault. So, they expose small differences.