What's new

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
While Anthem is best known for their AV receivers and amplifiers, they also build dedicated preamp/processor units that have all the features we have come to expect as enthusiasts. The most recent of these to hit the market and strike my fancy is the AVM 60. Anthem launched this unit nearly 4 years ago, and has continued to update the units software and feature set, including a recent overhaul of Anthem Room Correction, their very well regarded automatic room correction software that has been branded ARC Genesis. As a room correction and sound quality nut, I was eager to compare ARC Genesis to Dirac Live in my home theater. I reached out to Paradigm/Anthem and requested a review unit, which arrived a month or so later.

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
After reading your review, it doesn't seem like you're getting enough bang for your buck with this unit.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't know. It seems like a pretty positive review. It seems this $3K unit competes with $5-6K units. My one question is, to truly be in the league with those units, it needs to be fully differential, which I'm guessing it isn't. That isn't stated in the review. As far as I know, the other units you mention are.

Dssquared

Auditioning
Real Name
Dale
Would this be sonically compatible with something like a Krell Chorus 5200XD? Would it, in other words, lessen the quality and clarity of a high end multichannel amp of that level?

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
@JohnRice the AVM 60 is fully differential. And while I'm not positive, I believe that the AudioControl may be built on the same hardware. They're suspiciously similar, and we know AudioControl leans on someone else to manufacture their units.

@Dssquared you would be absolutely fine with this unit. In fact your Krell might be less transparent than the Anthem.

Last edited:

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
After reading your review, it doesn't seem like you're getting enough bang for your buck with this unit.
I wouldn't interpret it that way at all. You're actually getting great bang for your buck. You might get less of the "features" that Denon/Marantz offer like Spotify and Pandora integration, but you're getting a very high end processor.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I wouldn't interpret it that way at all. You're actually getting great bang for your buck. You might get less of the "features" that Denon/Marantz offer like Spofity and Pandora integration, but you're getting a very high end processor.
Fair enough! I'm not an audiophile so I seriously doubt I could even tell the difference audio-wise between this unit and a Denon/Marantz unit. However, the difference in features I can easily ascertain.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Fair enough! I'm not an audiophile so I seriously doubt I could even tell the difference audio-wise between this unit and a Denon/Marantz unit. However, the difference in features I can easily ascertain.
Dave's right that this is actually a bargain. At least by the sounds of it. Units like this usually retail at $5K or more, instead of $3K. The Marantz AV7703 I use listed at $2,200 and it's not on the same level as this is.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dave's right that this is actually a bargain. At least by the sounds of it. Units like this usually retail at $5K or more, instead of $3K. The Marantz AV7703 I use listed at $2,200 and it's not on the same level as this is.
The same level in what regard?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, being fully differential is a major factor. That means all electronics are duplicated. It is actually two preamps running positive and negative signals. Double the circuitry, which is costly. What's the benefit of that? Common noise is cancelled out. In other words, any noise generated by the circuitry is removed, since the other "side" creates identical noise that is reversed. They are brought together at the end, and cancel each other out. It's possible to carry this from input to output, so that all common noise through the entire chain is canceled out. My main HT is not fully differential from end to end, but is between components, or from my DAC to the amp, but not within the amp itself.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, being fully differential is a major factor. That means all electronics are duplicated. It is actually two preamps running positive and negative signals. Double the circuitry, which is costly. What's the benefit of that? Common noise is cancelled out. In other words, any noise generated by the circuitry is removed, since the other "side" creates identical noise that is reversed. They are brought together at the end, and cancel each other out. It's possible to carry this from input to output, so that all common noise through the entire chain is canceled out. My main HT is not fully differential from end to end, but is between components, or from my DAC to the amp, but not within the amp itself.
See you're an audiophile so I can understand your ability to ascertain differences in performances between those specs attached to each piece of equipment. I'm a retired GM Manufacturing Manager that had to wear ear plugs for much of my 36 years manufacturing career. I'm no where near being an audiophile, even, in my younger days.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A big factor is that the front speakers in my main HT are ruthlessly revealing of flaws in electronics. Almost to a fault. So, they expose small differences.

Fatstrat

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
Received my AVM 60 this week, but haven't had a chance to hook up yet. Replaced my AVM 2 with Marantz and have been sorry ever since. Looking forward to installing in the near future (waiting for a rainy day), busy installing car audio while out of work.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Received my AVM 60 this week, but haven't had a chance to hook up yet. Replaced my AVM 2 with Marantz and have been sorry ever since. Looking forward to installing in the near future (waiting for a rainy day), busy installing car audio while out of work.
Which Marantz did you have, and what did you regret about it? I have to admit, this Anthem sounds interesting.

Fatstrat

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
Which Marantz did you have, and what did you regret about it? I have to admit, this Anthem sounds interesting.
I have the 7701. I dont like the audio quality. The wife and I are getting a little older but when watching tv we find ourselves saying "what did they say" a lot. The unit needs hardwired internet connection. It's also not user friendly, adjusting audio or just tuning a different radio station seems like I need the manual for simple things. I have a lesser model Marantz ( can't remember model off hand) hooked up to my computer with bookshelf B&W's that I'm ok with though.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Recently added the MRX 720 to my system, the mid-tier receiver equivalent to the AVM 60 processor, its been transformative for sure.

Really I just wanted to try ARC for my home theater but the two channel performance has been the real story, go figure. I cancelled my paid Pandora service, signed up for Tidal Hi Fi and use the Play Fi app built into the receiver. Several reviews I had read panned this units lack of built-in streaming services but Tidal Hi Fi (or the like) seems pretty awesome for great two channel performance and all Ill really need. I ran ethernet cable to the receiver for Play Fi streaming duties, glad I did as I see two channel streaming being a much bigger part of my home theater room than previous processors. The results are an app that is perfectly stable even after hours of listening, not something I thought Id ever say about a CD-quality streaming music app in a receiver.

Id also mention this Anthem has made me tighten my room acoustics more. My room was no slouch to begin with; four inch panels on first reflection points, including ceiling panels for the entire front stage, heavy area rug covering most of the hardwood, bass traps in the critical corners, room big enough to allow well-spaced placement of the speakers, ect...however I found intial performance fatiguing until I experimented with the ARC curves and covered a large bank of windows with heavy curtains between the front mains.

I use outboard amps so I cant speak to the amp performance of the 720 but I have found that listening levels are satisfying at lower levels than the Yamaha 3080 this Anthem replaced, another unusual benefit I didnt expect or even knew I needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks