What's new

Another call for buying a receiver help (1 Viewer)

D@vid S

Auditioning
I've been looking so much to get a receiver and I thought I settled on one... Then I found this site. Now I don't know what to get.

All the information you guys have is great, but I am so overwhelmed and the time has come where I would like to get something.

Is the Yamaha RX-V730 good to get? (I think I might get this one since a local place has them on sale.) What else, in the $400 price range, would you recommend besides this receiver and why?

Here's what I have so far:
- RCA D52W20 52" HDTV
- Sony DVP-NS755P*
- Xbox*
- GameCube*
- Digital Cable

* I need at least 3 component inputs for now and only have two on the TV.

Thanks for any help!
David

RobWil

Supporting Actor
That Yamaha would prolly be just as good as any in that range. That's a very nice receiver, 'specially for movies.

Scott Adam

Stunt Coordinator
I owned a Yamaha stereo receiver before switching to my Onkyo multichannel unit, and the thing kicked ass connected to a Pioneer graphic EQ; I have heard---and I am just offering this to you as something I simply heard from buzz around the industry---that Denon and Onkyo are doing the best receivers right now. I know when I was shopping, I was completely turned off by the Harmon Kardons (they were falling apart with the buttons looking all cheap), Kenwoods, JVCs...etc...I was only considering Onkyo, Denon and maybe Yamaha again...I bought my Onkyo TX SR600 based on a friend who had experience with Onkyo power amps and stereo receivers---those things kicked ASS, believe me..they were powerful as hell, and so I knew I wanted an Onkyo. But I dont think you can go wrong with the Yammie. I would personally narrow it down to Yamaha, Denon and Onkyo. Some will say Marantz too, but I own Marantz gear--a CD changer and CD recorder---and would stick with Marantz for stuff like that; CD players and recorders.

David Ruggiero

Stunt Coordinator
My advice would be to go to your local Best buy, Circuit City etc. and listen to as many receivers that you can so you can buy what sounds nice to you. What sounds good to someone else might not good to you. Anyhow, regardless of what the previous poster said I would add Harman Kardon to the list on receivers to check out. They sound wonderful and I don't think they "look cheap" , nor is my Avr-525 "falling apart". You can get a Avr-525 for $550 for a refurbished unit at onecall.com or a new one for $599 at 6ave.com while I realize this is a little more then the $400 you mentioned you wanted to spend you are getting a much better receiver, one that lists for $999.

Scott Adam

Stunt Coordinator
David,

I am sure you are most happy with your Harmon; I only had informed the original poster about my experience I briefly had with some of the H/Ks set up in the shop I auditioned them in; to ME, in my OWN OPINION, the H/Ks appeared to be of a lower grade quality in terms of materials and assembly---but of course, this could have been due to the way the units were ultimately handled by customers in the store, employees, etc; in my own opinion, I believe H/K had prided itself at one time as being higher-end than most manufacturers mentioned in the same breath by consumers---and suddenly they did an about face and became mass market in a hurry, the likes of which are now being sold by large quantity by the Crutchfield catalog...

David Ruggiero

Stunt Coordinator
Scott, as you said in your post that you don't like Harman Kardon, I was just offering the opinion of someone who does. I looked at H/K, Denon, and Onkyo receivers when I was shopping for mine. Didn't really care for the sound or the looks of any of the Onkyo's I demo'ed. I liked some of the Denon's, but I decided get the Harman Kardon because they seem to go for better prices online then a comparable Denon. As you said, this is my opinion, and I'm sure others would disagree. It would be boring if every had the same receiver anyway. : )

I don't understand the comment about "mass market", and "being sold by large quantity by the Crutchfield catalog" though. Does that mean it is a bad receiver if Crutchfield has it? I went to Crutchfield.com and there are 8 Denon's, 9 Onkyo's, and only 4 Harman Kardon receivers listed. Guess that makes Harman Kardon the least "mass market" and Onkyo the one "being sold by large quantity by the Crutchfield catalog". : )

Scott Adam

Stunt Coordinator
David,

My comment about Crutchfield was exactly what you were thinking I meant---I do believe that as soon as Crutchfield begins carrying a specific brand, that brand's uniqueness goes right out the window; and yes, I know they carry Onkyo as well, and I DO believe Onkyo has gone the way of mass market hoopla even moreso now that Crutchfield carries their stuff...so I am saying that about my own receiver, too. I just think the Onkyo's FEEL and appear higher end compared to the other brands mentioned. But with Crutchfield, its funny...I always thought that Rockford Fosgate made high end car audio products, especially amps, and that their stuff was considered unattainable for many average people---which it was. Then, Crutchfield began selling their stuff, as well as Kicker products, and I amazingly lost respect for Fosgate and their reputation; it's like, they became mass market 12 volt audio along with all the other players in the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks