What's new

Another advice thread-RPTV (1 Viewer)

JasonFour

Auditioning
Alright, I've been lurking here a while, and have flipped and flopped and flipped again. There have been many helpful posts/threads and I thank you all for indirectly sucking me into this world and helping to create what is quickly becoming an obsession. I started off looking at a good old 32"Tau but after I realized I was going to have to invest in a new entertainment unit no matter what TV I bought I decided to look around at my options. After much hemming an hawing I think I want a larger TV(I'm using a 27 inch Walmart special that doesn't even have s-video right now!). Due to cost restrictions($2000 cdn dollars taxes in-TOPS!) and the fact that I just can't justify spending the extra money on a larger(34-36)CRT, it looks like RPTV is my best option.

Now I've read a ton of rptv threads and I still don't feel at ease--just when I start to feel safe in my decision i hit a post from someone who-with a properly calibrated TV-get's burned by burn-in(couldn't resist!) So I'll just lay my habits out there and let you guys tell me if in your opinions I'll enjoy an RPTV.

My GF will be watching almost exclusively 4:3 standard TV, which will take up 35-40% of the tv's time...makes me nervous about burn-in! The other thing is I love my XBOX and want to enjoy it large screen style(30-35% of the tv's time)...but again the burn in fear. I do play alot of sports games, but never more than 2 hours at a time. Basically if I play an hour and a half of hockey each night before bed will the effect of the score in the top corner be cumulative and eventually show. Or is it a case of when I stop playing hockey and start watching good old tv it 'wipes' the effect clean. Obviously the final 30% will be DVD's--the most important part and the reason I want bigger/better/more!

So those would be my habits for TV time--will I be okay with RPTV or should I stick to my poorboy 27" and wait for something better to come along?!(ie. LCD's to mature/prices to drop)

Thanks in advance!
JASON

Elinor

Supporting Actor
What about one of the smaller RP-LCDs? Sony and Panasonic make ones in the low-40-inch size at around $2k USD ... if you could save up just a bit more scratch you'd be there.

No worries of burnin. Bright as h*ll. Great for games.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks