Buying an RPTV, but somewhat disillusioned

Discussion in 'Displays' started by ChuckSolo, Jan 19, 2004.

1. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

I currently own a 36" Panasonic 4:3 direct view TV and am very happy with it. I am considering purchasing a new 47-51" widescreen HDTV CRT RPTV this weekend and have settled on another Panasonic, RCA or Sony model. While I am pretty sure I can settle on which brand I want with no advice, one thing that does concern me is the apparent pain in the butt rigamarole is seems to take to get these TVs to display a proper picture. I have a progressive scan Panasonic DVD player and plain old non-digital cable right now. I am used to setting my direct view TVs to my liking and then leaving them alone. The various threads I have read on CRT RPTVs just seem to indicate you constantly have to mess around with them. Is this right in assuming? If that is the case, I think I will stick with my direct view TV!!!! Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. John S

John S Producer

HDTV and EDTV give you a lot of options, and different ways to run...

NTSC is much simpler for sure.

Are you ready for the technical invlovement need for EDTV and/or HDTV, only you can answer that.

But keep in mind, weather you like it or not, HDTV is comming in a few years. I do think this mandated move in technology is going to catch quite a few into some shock indeed.

3. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Well, as a Systems Admin, I know my way around technical stuff and am definately ready for HDTV. My concern is all the threads where people complain about drifting convergence, color misrepresentation and stuff like that. I don't want it to be a battle everytime I want to sit down and watch a DVD![​IMG]

4. John S

John S Producer

It is best to use them for a good 200 hours or so, then have them calibrated professionally.

Things do move over time, as any given set burns in.

People have just as many issues with nearly all the different types of HDTV's. Just different ones for different designs.

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Chuck,

It's not as bad as all that. I've had a 57" Sony widescreen rptv since October of 01. I turned it on and let it warm up for an hour then calibrated with AVIA. Repeated about once a week or so for the first couple of months. Now I recheck maybe once every 6 months, haven't had to change anything. The auto-convergence works fine, though mine's never drifted, I was actually afraid to push the button the first time for fear it would mess things up, but it didn't. I've never really seen the set go out of convergence but mash the auto convergence button every few months just for fun. Always let the set warm up an hour before hitting auto-convergence.

Convergence on the set looked fine out of the box and I've never seen any need to do a manual convergence.

You will notice more variation in color from one analog cable channel to another on most good sets, but that's not the set's fault. I use satellite and ota exclusively now and have much less trouble with this.

Main thing to remember is to turn contrast (or "picture" if it's a Sony) to less than 50% of the available range immediately, 30-40% is best to minimize burn in risk (I've got none after over 2 years of mixed use). Get a copy of AVIA or VE and calibrate with a warmed up set. Maybe repeat the calibration every week or so for the 1st couple of months (gets very quick and easy with a bit of practice).

I've had a couple of high-end direct views and a couple of good rptvs, one analog and my present HD-ready. The analog one was an Hitachi ultravision, took a bit of tweaking to get right over a period of a month or so. The present Sony HD-ready set was much better out of the box and has required much less touching up.

6. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Thanks Steve. That kinda puts my mind a little at ease and am pretty sure I am gonna pull the trigger on a 47" Panasonic RPTV HDTV ready set this weekend. I wish I could go bigger, but my den will only accommodate a 47" or smaller and not much else. Thanks again.

7. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

enjoy the 47. i got the 53", and its wonderful!

ag.

8. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

If you're going to be watching a lot of standard definition tv a 47 incher can be a better choice than a bigger set. All the faults of analog tv are magnified seemingly geometrically as screen size increases, so often folks going from a 32 or 36 inch set to a 53 or 57 are very dissatisfied with how analog tv looks on it.

9. Mark Olton

Mark Olton Auditioning

And that includes Digital Cable and Satellite. If it's standard def, it won't look great, but for me it's liveable. Especially when I see how great my DVD's look now. [​IMG]

10. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

I don't plan on upgrading to HD cable anytime soon. I spend most of my viewing hours watching DVDs and the occasional tape from my 400+ VHS Tape movie collection. I went to CC last night and made some more comparisons and I really like the Panny 47". One question I had which I asked the salesperson last night was why there was only a 100 dollar difference in the HD ready version and the one with the built in HD tuner. He told me NOT to get the one with the built in tuner since it was only for over the air HD programs. He said to get the HD ready one and buy an HD cable tuner later. Is this correct guys? While I was there, I was salivating over a 42" Plasma TV and was just astonished at the PQ. Five grand is just way too much right now though, that is, according to my wife. Sigh......[​IMG]

11. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Chuck, believe it or not, the CRT based RPTV can give as good a picture as the plasma (with better blacks) if you calibrate it correctly. Not as bright, but just as good a picture quality.

As far as the tuner is concerned, if you wish to get over the air (OTA) HD content, then $100 more is a good buy. If you are going with cable HD, it is a waste. Satellite may require you to get OTA for your local HD stations (requires a waiver to get local HD from Satellite), so again $100 may be worth it.

12. nick_rh

nick_rh Stunt Coordinator

$100 extra for the same model with a built-in over-the-air tuner? That sounds strange; usually I see about a $500-600 difference. However, the HD tuner is well worth it, as a lot of great programs are available over the air (most primetime shows from ABC and CBS, and a few from NBC, WB, and UPN). A standalone HD over-the-air tuner runs $200-400, so a $100 premium is quite a deal.

13. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Yep, only $100 bucks more. I hope the sale they are having lasts until Saturday though.[​IMG]

14. John S

John S Producer

The $100 price difference did/does seem to be the average clearance sale price difference between sets with and without the ATSC tuner for sure.

15. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

The built in tuner is ota only, won't get satellite or cable HD. Unless you can get a good signal off an antenna it's not worth the money. If you are now getting really good reception of analog broadcasts with an antenna, you should also be able to get good ota digital.

OTA is not going to get you HBO, Showtime, DiscoveryHD, or any of the other HD cable or satellite channels, just the local broadcasts.

16. nick_rh

nick_rh Stunt Coordinator

I think HD signals are a fair amount more forgiving than analog. I live in an apartment building with a roof antenna, and I got very poor reception on analog broadcasts with it. But with HD, I almost always get a perfect signal on every channel.

With rabbit ears (which I used before I realized I could plug into the roof antenna) I was only able to get sufficient reception to watch about half the available channels, and I had to keep readjusting the antenna. Then again, I live in an area that's pretty dense with buildings, so if you live somewhere more open rabbit ears might still do the trick.

17. SvenS

SvenS Second Unit

CAN GIVE A BETTER PICTURE! I have yet to see a plasma TV look as good as any decent RP/CRT based/HDTV! I have seen all the new expensive plasmas at CES and they still are lacking compared to CRT based HDTV's.

18. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

SvenS,

I was tempering my words so as not to cause strife between the plasma fans and the CRT fans. I agree with you (and so do many ISF calibrators), but I believe in harmony in what is basically a friendly thread in which the poster already chose his set. No sense rubbing it in! [​IMG]

19. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

I'm having my 47" Panny delivered tomorrow. It's going to be quite a transition from a 27" to a 47" but I think I'll live thru it.

20. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Hopefully I'll be getting mine on Monday. I currently have a 36" Panny, and love it although it isn't widescreen. I would think though that going from a 27" to 47" is gonna be very different, a really good different though!![​IMG]