What's new

Annie Hall question... (1 Viewer)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I've been wanting to check out Annie Hall (I know I should have seen it years ago; shame on me), but I've heard that there is a problem with the current edition's subtitles.

Can anyone fill me in?

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
MGM replaced the original burned-in subtitles with removable subtitles. This is not so bad but this change ruins a joke in the film by preceding the subtitles with a new "Thinking" subtitle. The film did not have that subtitle originally.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Thanks for the clarification. So it's sort of like the one "Speaking Maori" subtitle on Sony's DVD of Whale Rider?

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
As for extras, you can pretty much forget about that. Most of the MGM/Woody releases have really nice anamorphic transfers. It's the Buena Vista ones that need updating. Most of those are non-anamorphic.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
All of the MGM Woody Allen DVD's are anamorphic, except for Annie Hall.

I saw the film for the first time and really enjoyed it... although, the DVD isn't that good. What's funny is that this library disc had the pan & scan side scratched up intentionally so that you could only see the widescreen version. :D

Vincent-P

Second Unit
While we'd like to see some extras on these Woody Allen discs, you can pretty much forget about it happening. He doesn't allow extras on DVDs of his films. I don't know of any Woody Allen DVD that has any extras besides the trailer possibly.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Is the UK region 2 editon of Annie Hall anamorphic and does it feature the original theatrical burned-in 'inner-monologue' subtitles or are they player-generated, like the region 1 edition?

Iain Quinn

Agent
I was watching it last night and I'm pretty sure it was anamorphic. I can't confirm the subtitles, but I remember seeing reel change cues on the print so there is a good chance they were burned in subs.

Brilliant Things

Auditioning
Real Name
Brill
I'm a big fan of Annie Hall. I watched my DVD again last night and was really disappointed with the balcony scene (see above).

I'm quite keen to get my hands on a VHS copy in widescreen (with the subtitles in this scene burnt in) and then transfer it to DVD. All the VHS versions I've seen are in 4:3 ratio.

Does anyone know if there was a widescreen version released on VHS?

Unless of course MGM has released a DVD version with the burnt in subs.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Will be on Turner Classic Movies 1-14 at 2 am, probably have the proper subs.

Grady Reid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Grady
If anyone still has their old Laserdisc player, the Criterion LD release and subsequent MGM pressing (from the same master, I believe) have the movie with burned-in subtitles and widescreen (obviously non-anamorphic). I picked-up the MGM disc off ebay years ago because of the subtitle issue.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
I've got a high def version recorded on my DVR (probably from a HDNM broadcast). I wish they would bring it on BD sometime soon. I agree that the SD version doesn't do it justice...oh well...I may be able to record onto a DVD through component if no imminent quality version is forthcoming...

Joel

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
even the new blu-ray for vicky christina barcalona has no features.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
And MGM is not the only culprit... Mirimax needs to get anamorphic copies of its Allen films out, too. I like BULLETS OVER BROADWAY almost as much as ANNIE HALL, and it's a shame to be having to view them as severely windowboxed images on my 46" LCD because blowing them up would make them look like crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks