What's new

Annie (1982) DVD: Framing Problems? (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I heard that the 1982 version of Annie on DVD is incorrectly framed. This was a Panavision film. So what is the aspect ratio of the DVD? It should be 2.35:1

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
the DVD is in 2.35:1, however it is misframed, cutting off picture.

run a search on DVD File or DVD Angle for their review, one of them was the one that uncovered the problem, but there is more picture on the remastered laserdisc.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Last I read they were going to re-do this disc, has anyone heard anything about that?

I'm also wondering how this looks since they put both a widescreen and pan and scan version on one side of a dual-layer disc, and the movie run about 122 minutes! That seems like it's REALLY pushing it.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
The original "Annie" DVD had framing problems - but only in certain scenes - in some cases heads were cut off etc. The widescreen laserdisc had better framming and a better picture. According to a studio rep at Dave's Studio Day, the problem was corrected - but he didn't know how to determine between the old and new pressing. Filmed in 35MM Panavision 2:25, some prints were blown up for 70MM presentation.
The Pan and Scan version is also on the same disc side and there is a reduction in picture quality as a result.:frowning:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Columbia should just do a special edition next year for the 20th anniversary of the film (and the 25th of the original Broadway production). The money they lost on the theatrical release they can make back on a properly-done SE. I'd like:

-the 70mm 6-track sound mix in Dolby Digital 5.1

-Properly framed 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen

-NO PANDER AND SCAM version on it at all

-The PBS documentary made to tie in with the film

-deleted scenes (pending their existence)

-any other extras they can muster

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks