What's new

Anime To Film. A New Trend To Come? (1 Viewer)

I've often thought how some pretty famous ANIME would turn out as a live action or carton movies here in the states. Anime has hit big in U.S. and has been consistent with popularity. So not so suprising to see news that FOX has aquired the rights to make Dragonball Z to a movie. Not sure wether it's going to be live action. Also I think Ninja Scroll is also considered for a movie. Could this be a new trend "here in the states" soon to come? Hollywood has already hit the comic books, why not anime?

Your Thoughts?

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Anime as cinema has been done in America already. Of course we just called it "animated movies", "animation", or "cartoons" (silly parents).

As for conversion to live action: Transfering mediums always works out badly. Look at Street Fighter: The movie. rather than just theatrically release the anime film, they live-actioned it..and lost big $$$. Has Hollywood learned it's leason? Of course not! So don't be suprised when the CG-based Gundam Wing movie gets made, starring Keanu and involving a new subplot with love intrest Wynonna.

As for DBZ and NS. In my opinion, probably not.

DBZ is, at heart, cartoons beating the stuffing out of each other while screaming incomprehensible jibberish and shooting fireballs. In a live action setting this much Ultra-violence would guarantee an R rating, and as soon as a female character like 18 were to take the first punch, Feminist organizations would be sure to have the movie banned from nearly every theater.

Ninja Scroll.....Heh, Have you ever seen this movie? Only Troma Films would attempt to pull-off a live action movie this bloody and sexually disturbing (Snake-girl scene), and they don't have the six-figure budget that the FX department would need to render half of the characters.

In conclusion: Classicaly good anime to be converted to live action by Hollywood?: Most assuredly. Will it be as good?: I'd be suprised if it was half as good. DBZ and NS?: Not to any extent that they would be even remotely similar to their Anime' roots. Of any anime film, Jin-Roh:Legacy of the Wolf Brigade is the only one off the top of my head that I believe could be transfered to live-action format while keeping the original story.

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
The majority of animes would be technichaly impossible in live action unless the studios forked over some big time cash, or just have big name stars redo the voices and edit the violence serverly and put them in to the theaters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks