What's new

Andy Griffith Season 3 --- August 16, 2005 (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
David, I think you misunderstood me. I believe that originally the Season 3 ending showed Andy & Opie walking away from the fishing hole while sponsor spots aired in the lower corner of the screen. And these original endings are what will be changed. I'm guessing they will be just like the Season 1 & 2 sets when it comes to the closing. Sorry about wording it poorly. But make no mistake, this is supposedly about the ending credits only, not the beginning credits.

Gary "again, this is only one man's explanation - but he did give it very matter of factly and therefore I tend to believe him" O.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Oh, OK. Thanks Gary.

You're saying, then, that the CLOSING credits featured actual film of Andy & Opie walking near the fishin' hole.

Perhaps you're right. I hadn't thought about that before. So this would mean that just season TWO's original closing DIDN'T have film of Andy & Opie in it (just words on the screen)? Because I don't think the S.2 endings have been edited/dubbed.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

My good friend Gary comes through again! Thanks for the encouraging news. Paramount could have saved us a lot of time by expanding their blurb and stating precisely what it means.

I watching the S1 episodes now (behind on my viewing). I'm amazed at how good these look. Almost too good in spots as I can clearly see the shadow of the boom microphone during the pilot episode in several instances. :)

Steve

John Carr

Stunt Coordinator
So you noticed that boom shadow too, Steve! :D

It's great to watch these episodes again -- after 40 years -- and see them looking better than they did when broadcast on a 1960s state-of-the-art TV, which was pretty awful by today's standards, not counting snow and other reception problems!

This 'quality' issue (magnifying the flaws of old film) is why I'm not worried about purchasing TV sets on DVD instead of waiting for High Definition, which I am doing for my favorite movies. "We won't get fooled again!" Many of the older TV shows will show horrible flaws if ever released on HD DVD -- imagine the Munsters faces under a microscope -- yikes!

It's hard to imagine newly remastered and restored shows like The Andy Griffith Show, I Love Lucy and Twilight Zone looking much better than they do now...because they sure look better now than they did when originally broadcast! A real boon for TV on DVD fans.

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
I have seasons 1 and 2 of TAGS and I really look forward to season 3 which has so many good episodes. TAGS is probably my all time favorite tv show and I never get tired to watching shows from the first 5 seasons no matter how many times I have seen them. They always make me laugh. I have heard the season 4 should be out around Labor Day. Thank you Paramount for getting these out in a timely manner.:) By the way, Howard Morris(Ernest T. Bass) will be missed greatly.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
A "TAGS" Trivial Matter Break................

Interesting Season-One goof/gaffe/flub/logic gap:

In the S.1 ep. "Quiet Sam", Andy delivers a baby at "Quiet Sam's" house, and announces at the episode's end that the baby weighs "8 pounds, 9 ounces".

Now -- just exactly how did Andrew know the EXACT weight of the newborn infant? Was Sam's house equipped with a micro-weighing scale? LOL.

Another mini-gaffe in the same episode is where Andy gets interrupted by Sam while Andy is phoning Barney (to get Barney to bring Aunt Bee up to Sam's to help), making "Barn" think "Anj" has been "nailed" by shady characters while trying to call "Barn" at the courthouse. (Get all that? ;))

Now -- After the brief "false alarm" ended, WHY didn't Andy then RE-PHONE Barney at the courthouse? Instead, he never phones again, even though it's just seconds or minutes later. Logical?

Perry --- your witness. (But we'll first break for lunch, prepared by Beatrice Taylor -- complete with Bee's delicious and tempting homemade pickles and marmalade -- Mmmm. :))

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I forget the episode in S1 (it's one of the early ones) but there's a scene of Andy & Opie playing catch. Andy has a catcher's mitt. Something happens and Andy has to go inside the courthouse. The shot of him going inside clearly shows him carrying the mitt. However it magically disappears in the next shot in which Andy enters the courthouse.

Steve

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Yep, Steve. I noticed the "disappearing mitt" as well -- it's in "Opie's Charity" (Ep. #8).

Always thought that ep. was a bit "mis-titled". The episode is mainly about "Tom Silby" coming back from the "dead". LOL. Funny one too.

"Well, Tom, you can't come back after you've gone .... it just ain't decent!" :laugh:

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Also: Ever notice how the TAGS-Season 1 box-cover photo is "reversed"? That picture is really the other way around, with Andy sitting on the other side of Opie on the riverbank. (Always wondered why sometimes they do that, i.e. "reverse" images like that. Why not just leave it like it's supposed to be? Normally, the "parting" of a man's hair, if applicable, in a photograph will be the tip-off as to whether it's reversed or not. I can't think of many men who part their hair on the RIGHT. It's almost always on the LEFT; like with Andy Griffith in the 2 images on the left here.) .......

http://secure.essemble.biz/clients/4...20&%20Opie.jpg

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
T.A.G.S. SEASON THREE UPDATE:
BOX ART --- "EDITS" TALK --- EXTRAS ---

Re. "edits": In addition to the Paramount website, the box cover also says at the bottom that some eps "may be edited" from original network versions. (Hopefully, as hinted earlier, it'll JUST mean the credits, and not the body of the shows.)

Also, please note -- More "SPONSOR SPOTS" coming for Season 3. Nice. :emoji_thumbsup: :)

I also like the inclusion of a complete episode list on the outer slipcase box here, and info on which disc contains what episodes. A good quick reference guide. Nice job. (I would assume that the eps. are also listed on the individual slim cases as well.)

Oh, yes, before I forget --- Good luck to you and yours. :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I wish I could afford it right now. I need seasons 2 and 3. I guess that means when I finally get them, I'll have a lot of Ange in one shot.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, but if an entire song is removed from one episode, that's nothing but being too cheap to get the music rights, and after buying seasons 1 & 2, I'll be skipping season 3 of the Andy Griffith show if this is the case.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
Based on the timing, it seems just as likely that they used a syndication print of that episode. If so, it's possible that the original version of that episode is lost; since every other episode of TAGS so far has been unedited, and since Paramount has a good record on using uncut episodes, I'm going to give Paramount the benefit of the doubt on that (in other words, this is not a Carsey-Werner situation we're talking about here). And it's good that they're up-front about it on the box.

The cut episode, "The Darlings Are Coming," was included on one of those public-domain DVDs; has anyone compared them to see if the Paramount version is missing something the public-domain version has?

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

do you feel that way about every replaced song?

For example, Outkast REFUSED at all costs to let one of their songs be used on the upcoming Undeclared set, every other artist used on the show was able to negotiate, but Outkast refused to let them use them, not that Shout!Factory couldn't afford it, so would it be fair to blacklist and boycott that set because the members of Outkast wouldn't play fair?

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I remember watching a TAGS episode years ago with the Darlings in it -- I don't know if it was this shortened one or not -- where they played and sang a song that had the line "I wanna be your salty dog" in it. That's about all I remember of it.

EDIT: Okay, I guess this is the song:

http://www.playingbyear.com/songs/so...?song=SaltyDog

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

I hate most modern music, anyway, especially rap, but it's the principle of the thing. If the artists don't play fair, why should the studios?

I think it is time to blacklist music "artists" and publishers who engage in this practice. Don't buy their CDs. Don't download their songs (legally or otherwise). Don't do anything that would give them money.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Salty Dog was first recorded in the thirties by a group called the Morris Brothers, and it went on to be something of a folk standard. If it was performed by the Dillards in the episode, I just can't imagine it would face any rights issues. I think the song is considered a little on the blue side, but surely not enough to stop it from being there in 2005. If this is the song in question, I'm guessing Jaime is closest to the truth about this.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Yep. Unless there's a good reason (and I can only think of 2 good reasons) for the episode to be edited on the dvd, then I'm putting my money where my mouth is and passing on this.

The only 2 good reasons IMO, are:

1. The unedited version is unavailable.

2. Documented evidence that the rights holder was being unreasonable.

Without evidence that it's one of these two things, I am personally unwilling to give a greedy studio the benefit of the doubt, and I will not buy it.

DanFe

Second Unit
Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. One episode has a cut episode and a no sale? Good grief.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks