What's new

And All That Could Have Been (1 Viewer)

Chris Huber

Second Unit
Any nine Inch Nails fans out there? I collect DVD concerts because I like the fact that you can actually see the band playing on stage instead of at a club or out door concert.

And All That Could Have Been is absolutley the best concert on DVD to date. It sounds so great on my JBL Studio series 5.1 setup. The sound is near studio quality and the visuals are excellent.

Plus the fact the NIN are the best band ever...

AllanN

Supporting Actor
And All That Could Have Been, is one of my favorite DVD's. I was at the Pittsburgh concert in June and it was a great time. I could't wait to get the DVD as a reminder of the concert. Do you have the DD or DTS version of the DVD? Also the fact that the whole thing was shot with $1500 MiniDV cameras and produced on standard desktop hardware is pretty impressive.

Chris Huber

Second Unit
I believe I have the DD version. On the reciever, thats what comes up when I play the disc.

I can select either 5.1 DD or 2.0 stereo.

Why would there be a DD and DTS version?

Bill Leber

Stunt Coordinator
The DTS version has full bitrate DTS sound, which takes up a lot of space. Therefore, they could not fit the DTS and a DD 5.1 soundtrack onto the 2 discs. There is very little compression of the video signal as well.

The DTS version does have a DD 2.0 mix. The other difference is there is no camera angle selection in the DTS version, but you can choose to watch the "The Great Below" "La Mer" and "Gave Up" in the alternate angle (full stage shot, no edits). You just can't switch between the two like you can on the DD version.

I agree that And All That Could Have Been is the finest quality concert DVD available. Have you found the "hidden" content?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Therefore, they could not fit the DTS and a DD 5.1 soundtrack onto the 2 discs.
Yeah, they could have. The concert lasts a total of about 85 minutes, and that's spread across TWO discs. There've been much longer movies full bit rate DTS on ONE disc. There's absolutely no reason they couldn't have fit both DTS 5.1 - full bit rate - and DD 5.1 on one disc without the slightest "compromise" in quality, especially since and all that could have been doesn't look terribly good anyway...

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
"....And All That Could Of Been" (DTS version) is my favorite concert DVD to date, followed closely by "Ben Folds Five: the Complete Sessions at West 54th".

The Nails DVD is the closest video I have seen to actually being there. I've seen NIN five times, and this DVD is a very accurate presentation of what it is like to be at a NIN show without actually being there. :)

The hidden content is awesome. So glad they added Reptile to the hidden stuff. My only gripe is the opening song. "Terrible Lie" is not an opener. "Somewhat Damaged" was the opener for that tour and it was incredible, plus the song is one of my favs. I was very pissed it wasn't on the DVD or the CD. I wanted to see that again. The strobes going nuts while they played behind the white curtain, and the curtain dropping at the midpoint of the song was great concert fun. :emoji_thumbsup:

-Dean-

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Terrible Lie as an actual opener? Yyyyyuuuuuuccccccckkkkkkkk. :thumbsdown:

They should of just kept Mr. Self Destruct as their opener. That is a great opener.

-Dean-

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
It was actually really cool because pinion came on after everything went dark. We had waited so long that on one really noticed. When terrible lie came on Trent came on with such an energy that my brother and I still remember it to this day. It was probably the second best song behind Wish IMHO.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Elliot,

If you think Trent came on with a lot of energy for "Terrible Lie", you should of seen him for "Mr. Self Destruct"! :)

I love that he still uses Pinion before the show starts. On the Downward Spiral tour, Pinion lasted for several minutes. It would just get slower and slower and slower, untl it was at the point where it was several seconds between each note. :)

-Dean-

Bill Leber

Stunt Coordinator
Dean, you are so right. I saw the TDS tour in Muncie, IN on the Ball State campus. Pinion seemed to last forever, so everyone in the stands thought it was a good time to rush to the floor. It was unbelievable. It looked like a flood of people pouring down onto the floor.

Of course I convinced my friend that we should go too! By the time we got down to the floor entrance, security had managed to stop the deluge. However, that didn't stop me from hopping the rail and running toward the stage when the security guard turned his back!

When I hit the floor, Mr. Self Destruct started. I was so full of adrenaline I didn't stop pushing through the crowd until there were only 2 people between me and the stage.

Best show ever.

Ah, to be young and fearless. Now I'm a feeble 27! :b

Bill Leber

Stunt Coordinator
During "Head Like a Hole" at 11:19, press 7 on the remote.

You'll get a new menu that will let you select:
Reptile
Starfuckers, Inc. and The Beautiful People w/ Marilyn Manson
An alternate video for The Day the World Went Away
The Fragile promo clips

It's not a whole other concert, but cool stuff nonetheless. There are also special triggers to go directly to the different specials during playback of disc 2. If you search the forums at Digital Noise you'll find it all.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
Great DVD!

I have the DTS version and it's phenomenal. The PQ is outstanding too.

I saw NIN back in '95 at Starlake in Pittsburgh and the place was just a giant sack of energy. I really think this DVD captures all that.

Ralph

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks