What's new

Anamorphic Widescreen Transfers- Have We Won the Fight? (1 Viewer)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
When I first got my 16:9 Mitsubishi (which automatically locks in to stretch mode when it receives a progressive signal) I always had to pay special attention to the DVD's that I purchased to make sure that they had Anamorphic transfers. Plenty of widescreen DVD's were NOT anamorphic.
We let the studios know that we WANTED, (perhaps DEMANDED), anamorphic transfers.
Now, a couple of years later, it seems that the vast majority of new widescreen DVD releases are, in fact, anamorphic transfers! I know there are still older DVD releases that need to be re-released with an anamorphic transfer (Goodfellas, Pulp Fiction, Titanic) but it appears that many of the more popular titles previously released as non-anamorphic are now being re-released with anamorphic transfers (Terminator, The Princess Bride etc).
Looking through the list of upcoming releases on DVD, it certainly appears that the vast majority will be anamorphic transfers. The last big DVD (widescreen) title that I remember coming out that was not anamorphic was The Abyss.
So, is it fair to say that we have won the fight for anamorphic widescreen transfers on DVD?
Or does the fight for anamorphic transfers coincide/overlap with the fight for OAR DVDs, which apparently has NOT been won?

M

MaxY

Rob T,
It seems the fight for anamorphic transfers has been won when it comes to widescreen releases for the most part. There are very few new releases that are widescreen without being anamoprhic.
OTOH
It seems that the fight between widescreen and full frame is really starting to heat up now.
frown.gif

Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
The fight may have been won, but the battle to have a standard description sure hasn't. Studios still can't agree how to signify an enhanced disc. Some say Anamorphic, some Enhanced, some say 16x9 widescreen, some say nothing at all. Like anything, they need a more uniform code to make buying and understanding easier.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
It's also nice to see some studios (especially Fox, Buena Vista, Anchor Bay) revisiting some of their earlier non-anamorphic releases with new transfers.

StuartM

Auditioning
Bruce
You are totally right about the standard labelling of an enhanced disc. I have to say how pathetic it is that the companies cannot agree a standard description and symbol to market these discs by now. Perhaps it is their intention to create such confusion? If anyone could implement such a policy of clear labelling across the board on all DVD, I for one would be very very grateful!!
Here's hoping from the UK
Stuart

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
The fight is only "won" if you watch nothing but major Hollywood releases (excepting 1.66:1 with certain studios).
If, like me, you watch a lot of indie, art, non-English language, etc. films, the anamorphic transfers are few and far between. Even Criterion continues to release non-anamorphic widescreen DVDs -- examples: Mona Lisa & How to Get Ahead in Advertising. The only non-major studio that offers 100% anamorphic support is Anchor Bay.
Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks