What's new

An Open Letter to the Folks at Paramount Home Entertainment (1 Viewer)

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
My two top wants from Paramount:
Beau James (1957)
The Wedding March (1928) - supposedly licensed by Criterion, but with a DCP available now, what is the hold-up?

I've been hoping for a decent release of Beau James for over 40 years (since the dawn of home video). This VistaVision title would look fantastic in 4K. But I'd settle for a nice 1080p Blu-Ray.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I think that's the only DeMille film left for Paramount, all the other films are now owned by Universal, they've released quite a few of them. I have Blu-rays of:

The Sign Of The Cross (France)
Cleopatra (US)
The Crusades (France)
The Plainsman (Germany)
Reap The Wild Wind (France)
Unconquered (Germany)

Amazon es is a good place to look for them, Universal have released a lot of titles in Spain (the real thing, not boots) multi-region with colourful garish covers.

I wonder why Spain and multi-region? Spain is well known for CD/DVD/BD boots, why make it easier for them? Perhaps the pressing plants in Spain are cheaper?

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I wonder why Spain and multi-region? Spain is well known for CD/DVD/BD boots, why make it easier for them? Perhaps the pressing plants in Spain are cheaper?

Well I think all Universal catalogue releases are multi-region, & maybe the Spanish like their vintage films. I know Spain is boot city, but most releases aren't bootlegs (but you do have to be on your guard).

Last edited:

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
My top want from Paramount:
Beau James (1957)

BEAU JAMES has not had a video release in any format. Originally copyrighted by Hope Enterprises, Inc. and Scribe (Shavelson-Rose) Productions, when the film's copyright was renewed in 1984, ownership passed to Paramount Pictures. But this may be a case where story rights are holding up a video release. The film was based on a 1949 biography of Jimmy Walker, Beau James, authored by Gene Fowler. When that book came up for copyright renewal in the pre-video year of 1976, ownership passed to Fowler's three children, Gene Fowler, Jr., Jane Fowler Morrison, and Will Fowler.

The story rights may also be tied up with a Broadway musical that was based on the same source as the film. The musical "Jimmy" had a book by Melville Shavelson (writer-director of BEAU JAMES) and Morrie Ryskind. Music and lyrics were by Bill and Patti Jacob, and Peter Gennaro did the choreography. Frank Gorshin starred as Walker, with Anita Gillette as Walker's paramour, Betty Compton. "Jimmy" had a brief Broadway run from October 1969 to January 1970.

jWQcJMu.jpg

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
For me it's:
Foul Play
The High and the Mighty
Island in the Sky
The Shootist
Young Sherlock Holmes

I wouldn't mind Foul Play, but at the immediate moment, Paramount only seems to have access to the same catalog they're showing on their online "Paramount Channel".
Of which the only one of the above is Young Sherlock Holmes, but that one's overdue for Blu.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
Can you add something about the horrid To Catch a Thief blu ray they just released. Total disgrace.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Was very disappointed about The Day of the Locust and i chose it as the worst looking Blu-ray of the year. I hope for better results when Paramount releases it in the US.

What was wrong with that one that had it looking as bad as it did?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks