What's new

Anamorphic "Squeeze" problem (1 Viewer)

Alfred Seet

Auditioning
I just bought a new 29" 4:3 Philips TV. My DVD player is set up to output at 16:9 mode, and I tried using the anamorphic squeeze function. However, a white line appears just above the picture (for 1.77:1 movies), sometimes cutting across the upper black bar (for 2.35:1 movies). I got the Philips tech to look at it, and they claim that the white line is unavoidable and is normally placed above the TV picture. In squeeze mode, the entire picture is vertically squashed and thus the white line appears. Is this true, or is he feeding me a pile of cr*p?

Basically, his attitude is that since I have a 4:3 TV I should be configuring my dvd player to output at 4:3 letterbox. He thinks that I am crazy to want to output to 16:9 and then squeeze the picture. So when I asked him, "why the hell did they put this feature in for then?" his reply was that it was an unnecessary feature and that it shouldn't be used.

Basically they refuse to solve the problem, saying that the TV is within spec. If I continue watching DVDs in squeeze mode, will the white line cause burn-in? I would say that 50% of the material that I watch is 4:3 and 50% are 16:9 dvds.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Contact the store again and ask for a knowledgable service guy. that problem is not to be expected and if the tech thinks that enhanced mode is an unnecessary feature then he obviously does not know much about high end TV's. you definitely have a good case here and i would insist on getting my tv fixed.

*EDIT*

If your whole tv picture is vertically compressed then your DVD player may not be staying in 16x9 mode. Just somethign to check on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks