What's new

Analog vs. Digital Signal - Newbie Question (1 Viewer)

DarrenW

Auditioning
I just bought a Marantz SR-6200 in Canada for CDN $650 (boxing day price) and have a newbie question.

There is an analog vs. digital selector button. When the input mode is CD, I can only get sound when ANALOG is selected (no sound when DIGITAL selected).

Is this correct, or should I be getting CD sound in the DIGITAL mode as well? I had thought that CD's were digitally recorded, but I guess they don't emit a digital signal, correct?

Please no flames! I'm not a techine. No detailed technical explanations needed - just simply want to know if something is wrong with my unit...

Thanks!

Jason Brent

Second Unit
I don't have any personal experience with the Marantz line, but I think this is might be your problem...

If your CD or DVD player (whatever you use to play CD's) has a digital out, either coaxial or optical, then you connect this to your receiver's digital in. Then you may select which input from the player you wish to use, analog or digital.

I would recommend trying both ways to see which sounds better. I personally like the sound of the Digital to Analog Converters (DAC) on my HK receiver better than the DAC's on my DVD player.

Hope this helps, and I'm sure any Marantz owners will chime in to help further.

DarrenW

Auditioning
Thanks Jason, I think you're right on the money. I have since learned from a friend what you have confirmed. Appreciate the response.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Depending on the quality of the dac's in your reciever vs the dacs in the cd or dvd player. You may or may not be better off using a digital input. If you have a pricy cd or dvd player the dac's inside may be better so you would want to use nice analog cables. If the dac is better in you reciever or you like the sound of it better I would recomend getting a good digital cable. You may want to test it by getting a digital cable and then deciding for yourself what you prefere. Worst case if it is a cd player and you like the receier dac's you can alway use the cable for your dvd player.
HAPPY NEW YEAR :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks