What's new

Ampro Projector Info Needed (1 Viewer)

A friend picked up an Ampro "Alice" 5000 DLP projector and is wondering if there's any use for it in a home theater. Can't find much out about it other than it appears to be limited to a resolution of 800X600 (SVGA), has a lumens rating of 1300 and has an onboard Pentium MMX processor. Apparently when new it ran about $40,000 but it's out of production and I believe Ampro went under. Anywhere I can find some info on this unit such as user manuals or service manuals? Anyone ever run across one of these? Thanks in advance. Any info would be helpful

Bob

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.
I have not actually seen one of these units, but I did a bit of digging and found out a few facts about this unit.
It is a three DMD panel DLP (good, should have great colors and no color wheel to cause rainbows). This also explains its high initial cost.
Rated full on/full off contrast is a not so good 180:1, comparable with many lower priced business use LCD projectors.
Some units have a Faroujda video processor Link Removed and are HDTV compatible.
From the same link, throw distances of 1 to 11 meters seem usable for home theater, however the throw could be a bit long for shorter rooms.
Noisy at 45db rated SPL.
500W Xenon lamp is expensive, and likely hard to find unless it is compatible with current L-COS lamps.
Should be fun to try!

Christian,

Thanks a bunch for doing the research. I'll go ahead and pass it on. Do appreciate the info.

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks