What's new

Amp suggestion (1 Viewer)

Brad Russell

Stunt Coordinator
My PSB Subsonic 3i's amp is toast (I guess- it just hums quite loudly I might add) So my thought was until I can replace the sub I's just by an amp and disconnect the old plate amp. Unfortunately, the old one is a real narrow so I don't think I be able to get a direct replacement (size wise). So I was thinking of getting another plate amp and just leaning it up against the wall the sub sits next to or getting a pro audio amp or something. Since I'm hoping to repace this sub with a SVS someday I don't want to spend a ton of money but if this set up works, I'd probably move it to the second system eventually. I think the old amp was around 180 RMS. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Brad

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
A couple of things to consider. If removing the amp creates a "hole" in the cabinet, then you'll need to plug it, or the system tuning will be affected. Second, many commercial subs use some form of EQ built into the amp. If you buy a generic plate amp or pro amp, you won't get this. You'll need to check with the sub manufacturer to determine if yours uses EQ.

Brad Russell

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply Dave. I have removed the amp and while there is a cavity for the amp it is sealed from the rest of the box. And maybe I can make a "plug" for PSB here-- that they have not repsponded to any of my inquiries to help solve my problem so I'm in the dark about any eqing.

Thanks again!

Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks