What's new

Amp/ Receiver recommendations for Sonus faber (1 Viewer)

MarkR

Grip
A buddy of mine is planning to get a set of Sonus fabers (Grand Piano, Solo, and Walls). They'll be used 80% HT/ 20% music. The room is approx 25' X 13'.

Since I've seen people around here with SFs, I figured maybe you could make some suggestions as to what prepro/amp or receiver would match well with the SFs. Price range is up to $4000.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Mark

P.S. since I'm probably going to get the same speaker set, I'm also very interested in your suggestions.

Jeff Ery

Stunt Coordinator
My brother would say "Krell", and I'd say "over-budjet" and we'd comprimise at B&K..........

MarkR

Grip
Thanks Jeff.

Krell was also suggested by the dealer, but you're right - a new krell amp is out of the $$ range (since he'd still need a processor).

B&K is an interesting suggestion. I've read that they're considered "warm" - do they still mate well with the SFs, which are also warm?

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Hi Mark,

I have set up systems of similar quality speakers with the Harman Kardon AVR520 and AVR8000s, mated with the CineNova 3 or 5 channel amps, with great success for clients of mine.

The "street price" for these is well below $4000 and quality, performance, and features, compare quite favorably to most of the more expensive Pre/Pros and AMPS.

It is hard to get Logic 7, THX (8000) and great 2 channel for anywhere near the price.

Both also offer "assignable" onboard amps, which can move you to 7.1 and "multiroom" power if you desire it.

All the best,

John

MarkR

Grip
John,

Interesting idea. Thanks. I used to use an Onkyo 747 receiver as a preamp with an Adcom 7500 amp, and when I got my Outlaw 950, the difference was huge. Are the HK receivers really so good as pre/pros?

I think I've convinced my friend that it would be a shame to pair the SFs with a receiver like the Sony 4es or 7es (which he was considering). We've been tossing around the idea of the anthem pva 7/avm20 or even an Outlaw 950/770 combo.

It really is too bad that there aren't more "affordable" pre/pros out there right now. Hard to believe what you can and can't get for $10K.

MarkO

Second Unit
I hear ya Mark. I had the same delema when I was searching for an amp prepro for the 5 Sonus Fabres I own.(4 Concertinos and picolo center) I couldent afford what I really wanted, so I setled on a Harman Kardon prepro and amp I picked up for $800.00 refurbed. They are the Signature 2.0 and 2.1. Most likely not the worlds best match but the results were more than expected.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
The Proceed amp powering the GP Homes is one of the best I've heard.

I was also astounded by how well a Denon 5800 drove a pair of Electa Amotor II's using the Sony 777es CD player as a source. I couldn't believe it was just the Denon driving them.

I have been using Denon 380x or Sony ES receivers as pre/pros with H/K and Sherwood amps driving my Signums and Concertos with some good success. I would be hesitant to recommend the Outlaw amp with past experience with an ATI amp but YMMV.

If I wanted to spend the big $ I would be thinking Anthem and Proceed. Maybe the Denon since it's mostly HT application. B&K and Adcom has also sounded pretty good in the stores.

If your buddy wants to save a few bills, he may want to look at the Polk LSi-15 (similar tweeter to that used in the SF Cremona). Probably not as warm but clear as a bell with good dispersion and images well. I have the LSi-9 and they are good performers. Perhaps even slightly better for HT. But the GP Homes properly driven are very sweet - great imaging, and superb bass output IMO.

MarkR

Grip
MarkO and Gil, thanks for the suggestions.

Gil, what was your (negative?) experience with the ATI amp? Bad amp or not a good match?

Gil D

Supporting Actor
ATI had lots of grunt and was actually quite good for HT. But imaging was lost in 2-channel and highs a bit irritating.
You also might consider Parasound but I have not tried them with the Sonus personally.
MarkO, Nice system :emoji_thumbsup:
What do you run for a sub?

John A. Casler

Second Unit
I think I've convinced my friend that it would be a shame to pair the SFs with a receiver like the Sony 4es or 7es (which he was considering). We've been tossing around the idea of the anthem pva 7/avm20 or even an Outlaw 950/770 combo.
I would do AVR8000/Earthquake CineNova(as per the Anthem combo)

or the HK AVR520/Earthquake CineNova (as per the Outlaw combo)

More power, lower price, similar features, and Logic 7

And you get 5 extra channels to do things with.

But as in all things it depends on your speakers, room, needed/desired processing modes, and music to movie ratio.

All the best,

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks