matching speakers to my amp/receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Michael Dils, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Michael Dils

Michael Dils Auditioning

I recently bought a Yamaha RX-z7 receiver and would like to upgrade my front floor standing speakers. I listened to and loved the Martin Logan Aerius i speakers and also listened to the Polk LSi 25 speakers which were also good. My question is...will the Yammie drive a 4ohm speaker like the ML's ? Is the positioning of the ML's really that complicated ? The system will be used for music and movies.

I'm open to suggestions and recommendations. Due to space and aesthetics, I put the rear surrounds in the ceiling: Polk RC80i's. I am going to build a box for them in the ceiling to protect them from insulation , etc. I need a sub woofer, center and the two main fronts. I also heaard the Sonus Fabers: also sounded great !

Thanks,

Michael

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

The Yamaha will drive the ML's, but it won't drive them to their full potential; a seperate, robust amp will be required for that.

Positioning is not complicated for them, but it will require some experimentation, as all speakers do, based on the room and seating position. Also, and it's a biggie, you need to let them breathe by pulling them out from the back wall. If you don't have the room, then look elsewhere.

They are very clean, articulate speakers and will work well for both movies and music. I like them alot, but of course, everyone has different preferences.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

DJ

3. Michael Dils

Michael Dils Auditioning

Thanks DJ, I will. Any suggestions on what additional amp I should get?

Michael D.

4. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

There are so many good ones: Sunfire, Bryston, Parasound, Adcom, Outlaw Audio and Rotel are but a few. Try audiogon.com if you want to get some ideas. I'd look at amps in the 125-200 wpc range. You could start off by using the amp for the front three channels and use the Yamaha to power the rest or get a 5 or 7 channel if you want to go all out.

DJ