Amp question?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rhett_Y, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

Hi all..

Here is my question, is it better to get a 2 channel and a 3 channel amp or one 5 channel amp? Can't afford mono or do I have the room!

Opinions please...

Thanks

R~

2. Fred DeGrandis

Fred DeGrandis Stunt Coordinator

3. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Hi Rhett,

That's an answer that is not always an easy one. Common sense would dictate that seperate amps, monoblocks, would do the best job because they physically isolate each channel from each other and provide unshared power supplys. Still, many multichannel power amps also have multiple power supplies and some can even steer power to those channels that need it most. I don't believe that there has ever been a movie or multichannel music disc that demands full power from all channels at once so a transformer that can supply full range, full power to all channels at once is a rarity.

I'd recommend that you go and listen to some amps, decide which amps sound best to you, and then look at the models of amps available from that manufacturer.

4. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

Thanks for the reply's.

I will be taking a look at the thread provided and John thanks for the reply on listening to amps. It is off to do more field work.....aaahhhh the choices are killing me!

Thanks thou...

R~