What's new

Amp help. (1 Viewer)

dtiao7eb

Grip
Real Name
David
Hello all,

i'm new to the forum and also to home theater setups. I am currently running two klipsch synergy f-20 as my L & R and a Klipsch RC64II as my center. In the future I plan on getting the klipsch rf-7 and in the distant future the palladium series.(far far far distant lol)

my question is: is it worth getting a amp to power my L.C.R. speakers and let my yamaha receiver power the 4 surrounds and subwoofer.

I was thinking about getting the Emotiva XPA-3. Any suggestions for a better amp @ that price range?

Again, i'm new to the whole home theater setup so please dont flame too me hard XD

thanks,

David

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I don't have a lot of experience with separate amplifiers but those Klipsch speakers are very efficient and don't require much power to play at ear bleeding levels. Unless you have an absolute bottom end Yamaha receiver then power shouldn't be a problem. But adding an amp to power the fronts or the front three is sometimes recommended around here from people with more knowledge than I have. But there's usually a power problem or the receiver going into self-protect mode involved.

As for any improvement in sound quality I think you would need a much better processor than what comes with most receivers to take advantage of a separate amp. If you have an itch to get an amp then who am I to stop you? But my guess is that money could be much better spent elsewhere in your system.

dtiao7eb

Grip
Real Name
David
yeah i was just reading that adding the amp will make a huge sound difference in the front 3 speakers... but i know next to nothing about this stuff... i suppose a better processor is required also. the yamaha amp was $300... not top of the line stuff. I'm at work other wise i'd give you the model # lol

i'd be interested in replacing the receiver for an amp + whatever i need. my budget has no roof, but i'd rather not spend more than i need to. I can always save money to buy the nice stuff :)

thanks for your help!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You don't say what model receiver you have, but if it was $300, it probably can't be used with an external amp. It needs to have pre-amp outputs.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Having said that, since you mentioned Emotiva, if you got an XPA-5 and a UMC-1 processor, I doubt you would be disappointed. Just make sure you have room for that amp. It's enormous and heavy.

Frank A

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I used to have a Yammie receiver (RXV630). I think it had plenty of power to run my 5.1 set up, but after saying that, I did buy a two channel amp to power my two main speakers. I wanted the amp power for louder, crisper stereo music listening, not necessarily for the 5.1 set up. So, in that sense, I totally agree with Gene C. I never have done any testing to see if it helped, but I am glad I did it (psychologically, it did help .

I have read a lot of good things about Emotiva amps. I would not hesitate to buy one based on what I have read about them, but don't have the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks