What's new
World Wide Stereo

Amp gain (1 Viewer)

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I just picked up a NAD S250 which has individual gain knobs on the back for each channel. Do I set them to max or will that introduce hiss?

Kevin

728x90

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Generally, max. They aren't really gain controls - they're attenuators so they should be set full open unless there's a compelling reason not to (like a pre-amp with overly high output).

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
I'd set them such that you just drive your amp into clipping with the preamp volume knob at max and using your "hottest" source material. This will maximize signal/noise ratio in the system and give you finer adjustment range on your preamp volume control.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Is this used in conjunction with other amps? or perhaps the amps inside an AVR? If so, then they should be set, to as closely as possible mimic the gains in the other amps used at the same time.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Out of morbid curiousity, how does the NAD sound compare to the Rotel sound you had before with your 1095?

Kevin. W

Screenwriter

Haven't really had a chance to try out the amp since I got it. As soon as I have a day off I'll be watching one of the movies I've watched before to see how it sounds.

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks