What's new

What Is A Gain Switch? (1 Viewer)

ChuckyMan

Agent
Real Name
Charles Wilson
I'm thinking of hooking up my subwoofer to my receiver, but have run into a little conundrum. The subwoofer I have is passive and has only a double wire for a connection. I found this amp, seems decent...at least for what I'm wanting to do.
Code:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MR6YCQ1/?coliid=I3PG7NPKI1QTEX&colid=2K13ZPXPH8ZRM&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
I have a few questions. First question, this amp shows a gain switch. What does it do and what should it be set to? Second question, the freq knob doesn't have any numbers on it. What should I set it to? Third question, my receiver has it's own subwoofer volume. What do I set the amp's volume to?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The gain switch is for input sensitivity, to accommodate say, a very high or very low input signal. As an example, if you have the switch set to expect a very low input signal, and you give the amp a very high input signal, the amp inputs may distort, and / or render its volume control as “hair trigger,” meaning a slight turn gets a big change.

Can’t advise you what to set it for, knowing nothing about the signal strength output of your receiver. This is something you’ll just have to play with.

As far as the frequency knob, assuming your receiver has set the crossover frequency, just turn the knob to the highest setting.

The amp’s volume is also something you’ll have to experiment with, as it will work in tandem with the gain switches. If you can’t get enough volume from the sub with the volume knob all the way up, then try a different gain setting that boosts the input signal.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

ChuckyMan

Agent
Real Name
Charles Wilson
The gain switch is for input sensitivity, to accommodate say, a very high or very low input signal. As an example, if you have the switch set to expect a very low input signal, and you give the amp a very high input signal, the amp inputs may distort, and / or render its volume control as “hair trigger,” meaning a slight turn gets a big change.

Can’t advise you what to set it for, knowing nothing about the signal strength output of your receiver. This is something you’ll just have to play with.

As far as the frequency knob, assuming your receiver has set the crossover frequency, just turn the knob to the highest setting.

The amp’s volume is also something you’ll have to experiment with, as it will work in tandem with the gain switches. If you can’t get enough volume from the sub with the volume knob all the way up, then try a different gain setting that boosts the input signal.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
I found this from the manual...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you're asking "What do I set it to" then we can't answer that. The gain setting is like an additional volume control. So, let's say that when you turn the volume dial up all the way, the sub still isn't loud enough, then you adjust the gain setting to a higher level. On the other hand, if you can barely turn up the volume dial and it gets too loud, then adjust the gain setting to a lower level.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks