What's new

American Dreams Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Since Season 3 is all but done (tonight it resumes after another several weeks of being skipped) and may be the last season of the series I was wondering whether there was any indication that we might see season 2 on DVD since season 1 came out some time ago. I fear I know the answer but thought I'd ask anyway. Many on this forum seem to be so well informed and may have some insights. Since the series is not a resounding commercial hit this might just have to wait a few years to see the whole series wrapped up in a set for distribution to the few fans of the series.

Joel

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
One gets the feeling that Dick Clark is the only reason the show has lasted 3 seasons, too. Which is sad because this is a fantastic show (at least from what I've seen, which is the entire first season that I purchased on a blind buy). I haven't seen anything about his condition now, post-stroke, but I doubt American Dreams is a top priority for him now.

The reality is that this show is on the most competitive night for television (Sunday) and period dramas are being buried by reality shows, crime & medical dramas, and standard sitcoms. It's tragic because this show really is something special. At least, unlike Freaks & Geeks, this was given a chance. Three seasons is pretty impressive with the competition it was up against!

I sincerely hope we'll get the last two seasons on DVD (if they are the last two, anyway). I also hope whenever the last episode is (if it turns out to be this season), it will be already known that the show won't be returning, so they'll have a chance to close the series out. This is an excellent show with a very likeable cast; a great schtick with modern artists impersonating the rock, pop and r&b starts of yesteryear; and some very good storylines. I guess I'm one of the bad guys for not watching this on TV and just waiting for the DVD releases. Not like I have a Nielsen box in my home though...

Edit: Looks like they've moved it to Wednesday now? Probably a good move.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor

This might have been an attempt to capture the West Wing crowd (which follows immediately in the lineup)since they are in many ways the target demographic, along with the teenage pull-through due to the school-age cast, and Britany Snow's exploits. Now that she's graduated High School it might be more difficult to hold on to the teenage group that has identified with her, though she still has two younger siblings on the show.

I too am concerned that Dick Clarke's health is going to be a major factor on whether this show survives another season. Too bad, since 1967 was a banner year for music and social change -- great chances for story development. Additionally, Britany's start of a post High School life, in college I presume, would be another opportunity to see her develop her own voice, independent of the chains of her immediate family and rising anti-war/civil rights movement. If the series were to last another 2 seasons we would also have the inclussion of 2 assasinations and the impact on US society in what was undoubtedly the beginning of the end of a very turbulent decade.

Joel

AnnaMaria

Stunt Coordinator
This is one of my favorite shows.

I think the move to Wednesday is a bad move. They put it opposite Lost. Now Lost is showing reruns right now, but once it gets back to new shows...

I'm hoping this show continues. It needs to find a better night. Monday maybe.

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator
There are only three episodes of American Dreams left. They likely won't be up against any new episodes of Lost.

I agree that Wednesdays at 8 is not a good place for the show.

Closure: One of the producers said that if they get word that they won't be back for 4, there's an 'ending' they've shot and can tack on the last one... but he hopes they won't have to use it...

They couldn't have been TOO prepared... they had a season order of 19, and then got cut back to 17...

Will Estes (JJ), Gail O'Grady (Helen), and Rachel Boston (Beth) have all been cast in pilots for next year... they're preparing for bad news...

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
'67 was a great year for music I'll have to admit. The Monterey Pop Festival introduced America to Jimi Hendrix and the world to Janis Joplin. The show needs to last until the characters make it through the '60s. I gotta see how they deal with the counterculture movement. :)

For what it's worth, after doing some more reading on the show's status, I gotta think these last 3 episodes of the season will be the last 3 of the series. Sucks.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Why hasn't NBC been showing reruns of the show on one of its cable networks like Bravo or USA?? I mean, they do it for The West Wing and every variation of Law & Order!! If they did so, the NBC audience would grow. I'm heartsick about the possible cancellation. If the show does go off the air this year, I hope that creator Jonathan Prince will do the fans a favor and write a TV Guide article about the ultimate fates of the Pryors and their friends. It's been done before: in 1971, the magazine did an article by Dark Shadows writer Sam Hall, telling about what happened to the show's characters after the final episode aired in April of that year.

On the other hand, considering how deplorable NBC's schedule is (except for old standbys like ER, The West Wing, and all of the Law & Orders), perhaps the execs should take a second look at American Dreams........

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks