What's new

American Dreams and Music Rights (1 Viewer)

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
Okay, obviously this show uses music from the 60s and the 70s... I was just wondering what hell they must be going through paying the music rights to release this show onto DVD... which brings me to ask, if it's possible to release American Dreams on DVD is it possible to release Wonder Years as well? I'm still wondering about Happy Days, are they keeping the original music track for each episode? IF it's possible for Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley and American Dreams, then it must be possible for Wonder Years. I take no excuses.

Supporting Actor
Okay, obviously this show uses music from the 60s and the 70s... I was just wondering what hell they must be going through paying the music rights to release this show onto DVD... which brings me to ask, if it's possible to release American Dreams on DVD is it possible to release Wonder Years as well? I'm still wondering about Happy Days, are they keeping the original music track for each episode? IF it's possible for Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley and American Dreams, then it must be possible for Wonder Years. I take no excuses.

Rick P

Supporting Actor
Difference is with Happy Days and Wonder Years (mostly) it's the original artist performance.. on American Dreams it's NEW performances by different artists... different pricing structure for the rights (and they probably had the good sense to get the video rights UP FRONT)

Rick P

Supporting Actor
Difference is with Happy Days and Wonder Years (mostly) it's the original artist performance.. on American Dreams it's NEW performances by different artists... different pricing structure for the rights (and they probably had the good sense to get the video rights UP FRONT)

Mike Brogan

Second Unit
I know this held up "Freaks and Geeks" for awhile but it eventually was released with the music intact (thank God) I don't think it would be a problem, but they'd have to be willing to pay the royalties.

Mike Brogan

Second Unit
I know this held up "Freaks and Geeks" for awhile but it eventually was released with the music intact (thank God) I don't think it would be a problem, but they'd have to be willing to pay the royalties.

Supporting Actor
Yeah, but Happy Days is being released. So, like I said, if Happy Days is being released with the original recordings intact, what's the deal with Wonder Years?

Supporting Actor
Yeah, but Happy Days is being released. So, like I said, if Happy Days is being released with the original recordings intact, what's the deal with Wonder Years?

Marty M

Senior HTF Member

I don't believe there were any original recordings in Happy Days except in the early seasons when they used Rock Around The Clock. That was even changed to a new song.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
The difference is, AMERICAN DREAMS was made in an era where they probably had DVD and video rights as part of the original music contract.

The other series, especially HAPPY DAYS, were long before and no one knew about it. Even FREAKS AND GEEKS was before TV box sets were popular.

Supporting Actor

What in the world are you talking about? What about the songs they played on the jukebox in certain episodes. And like there wasn't a soundtrack to the show like there was to the Wonder Years.

Supporting Actor
Oh, now they're releasing a Extended Music Edition? And they won't release The Wonder Years because of music rights? Oh, boy!

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Chris is right. Various oldies are played from time to time in Happy Days.

The thing is, look at the price of American Dreams. $89.95 SRP?!

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
No, as others have reported, the new shows get 'DVD Rights' in the initial contract, so there isn't any problem getting them out.

I'm glad of that.

Glenn

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
No, as others have reported, the new shows get 'DVD Rights' in the initial contract, so there isn't any problem getting them out.

I'm glad of that.

Glenn

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
No, but in the past, it was not expected that a movie would get transferred and sold to the public. The old contracts allowed for a song to be played in the movie, for the limited number of copies that any movie had.

The groups(whatever) want royalties every time their song is played. If you haven't heard yet, the price of blank CD's includes a cut to the RIAA, for distribution to all of its members.

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks