What's new

Amelie! (1 Viewer)

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
Lance and Mathieu,

Merci, maintenant, je comprendais. I hadn't understood that the Napoleonic Code controlled in Quebec. I guess a similar, but less extreme situation developed in Louisiana. There, the U.S. Constitution still has supremacy, of course. It's difficult to imagine that provincial law could trump federal law. Again, thanks for the interesting information.

Bill

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
2 things:

First, some of you talked about Quebecian Politics and you could be in trouble... If it wasn't for the rules against political discussions, I would have made a similar rant, including explaining the reasons they want to oppress english speaking... I wish I could...

And also, I really hope the other 2 R1 versions will contain DTS, because it would be stupid that the french-only disks have DTS, French Speaking people are probably the last people to get DTS-Capable equipment since there are no disks available with a DTS french track.

Eric Sevigny

Stunt Coordinator
French Speaking people are probably the last people to get DTS-Capable equipment since there are no disks available with a DTS french track.

You do realize that many of us are bilingual and *are* buying and enjoying DTS disks even though they may not be french. Lets refrain from making broad generalizations based on language alone.

I am hoping the rest of NA gets the french DTS track too, Amélie is one of those films that, IMHO, just oozes "musical score" greatness, thus the audio track deserves every bit of attention it can get!

Mario Bartel

Stunt Coordinator
You know, I loved this movie so much, I may get both; the Alliance/Atlantis/Miramax edition, so I can understand what's going on, and the TVA SE, for the little rock(!).
Heck, it will force me to recall some of my high school and university French:)

Marty Christion

Stunt Coordinator
On the subject of sound quality, Amelie was one of the seven movies submitted for consideration for the Academy Award for Best Sound Effects editing. It has a soundtrack of incredible depth, subtlety and variety, and will take full advantage of any improvements to be found in a DTS presentation.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Apparently, this is what the French-Canadian release will look like:
TVA_ameliecoll_30avr.jpg

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I found a pic of the Limited Tin that was sold in France and Belgium:
Link Removed
It's up for bid @ Ebay, if anyone's interested. Auction link.
DISK 1 : THE FILM Audio Commentary By Jean Pierre Jeunet Interactive Menus
DISK 2 : Making of Teasers " FOUTAISES " Short Film from JP Jeunet Trailers Deleted scenes
THE METAL BOX CONTAINS ALSO : ORIGINAL POSTER DEDICATED BY JP JEUNET 8 Photos from Film 15x21 8 POLAROIDS OF GARDEN DWARF Audio CD Original Soundtrack 2 booklets ( 1 of 8 pages, 1 of 20 pages)
I want the pics of the Dwarf. :)

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Yeah, after I posted, I thoought, am I getting too close to politics? I carefully reread my post, edited for spelling and expansion of my explanations, and then left it alone.

Also, that TVA edition looks cool. I can seem myself getting both versions, maybe my future children will understand and enjoy the french version.

From the age of 7 to about 25 I lived in the city of St. Albert, AB, a french Catholic community in Alberta. Makes me wish I had a better command of French than une, deux, tois... or had gone to the french (catholic - which to really screw people up was the PUBLIC system in St. Albert - the rest of Alberta the catholic system was the "private" schools) schools as I grew up. My lack of French skills make me ashamed at times.

*sigh*

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
I'm so excited about this release...

Does anyone know more about the included 8x10 photo? I assume that it will be folded, since the box looks smaller than 8x10.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
There is absolutely NO reason why the Quebec version by TVA should not be made available for the rest of Canada (and R1 for that matter). Think of it this way: I want to buy it, and because of their "laws," they've lost a sale. You can be sure a LOT of people are angered about this news (besides in just this thread).
All said, I am pretty sure that the Alliance Atlantis version will also be French with english subtitles, since they are most likely going to port the Miramax US disc anyway.
Jason

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I just hope that they don't cut it up like Malena was. Harvey Scissorhands, STAY AWAY!!!

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Jason, it's not really the problem of it not being made available, the TVA version won't (or all signs seem to indicate this) have English subtitles, which kinda makes it a moot point (at least for me, my French is a bit rusty :)).

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
The more I think about it, the more I'm getting pissed off about this.

Purposely excluding English subtitles on the TVA release is pretty rotten.

It's bad enough that there are differences in quality between US and Canadian DVDs, but within the same country?

Eric Sevigny

Stunt Coordinator
- Marc
I think even if TVA *wanted* to include the english subtitles they couldn't. Like Mathieu_D explained, Alliance Atlantis got the rights for Amélie + english subtitles, TVA only has the right to produce a french DVD without any english at all.
So what is actually pretty rotten is why Miramax or Alliance haven't gone for subtitling/including the extras on THEIR releases (if early press is any indication). Maybe because that particular situation has never came up before? (i.e. subtitling of extras for a foreign film).
Maybe they just need to be pointed out the *right* way of doing things :)
Anyway, for those who watch their DVD with the help of their computers, I am sure some kind soul will go to the trouble of translating to english the extras on TVA's edition for DVD subber or some other similar program ;-)

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Eric is right.

I posted this earlier in the thread but I'll repeat it here.

TVA is releasing both a single disc and a Collector's Edition 2 disc version loaded with extras. TVA's rights for this film are for French Language only so we cannot have english sub-titles on our disc.
That is a direct and official quote from the studio to myself when asked if the disc will have any English subtitles on it.

We can't change TVA's mind because they legally can't include any english subtitles on the release regardless of if they wanted to or not. And you bet that TVA would include them if possible espescially since their disc looks to blow the socks off the Miramax/Alliance release.

Mark

Eric,

Like you wrote, a lot of French Speaking people are bilingual. I can't say that I am. But I still can listen The Simpsons and understand. I would be harder for me to watch JFK without the subtitles. But like most of the people of this forum, I can appreciate good sound quality and original language track. If an english speaking person can prefer an original french version, a french speaking person also can prefer an original english version, a even more if it's in DTS...

Every time someone I know tells me that he-she liked Sean Penn in I am Sam, I ask them if they saw it in french or in english. If the answer is, in french, I tell them that I'm glad they are not a member of the accademy. And it's not because I don't like Penn.

And another reason why some movies like The Red Violin can sometime be missing English subtitles is that the dvd release can be very different. The Red Violin was still in theater in the US when it was released in DVD here in Quebec. So the french subtitles were burned-in! That was probably made for discourage americans from importing that version.

I suppose if you read all this, it's clear in your mind that I'm not bilingual...

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Well, in any case - this truly bites.

If Miramax/Alliance doesn't release a 2-disc version, then I'd prefer that it comes as a bare-bones disc.

The extras that would be included in a single disc release would probably be lame anyways, so I'd like to have the whole disc dedicated to a wonderful transfer and soundtrack.

Steve O

Stunt Coordinator
After reading (literally) dozens of reviews on this movie - I really, really want to buy this DVD. I've not seen it theatrically, but it falls squarely into the category of titles that I'd love to buy sight-unseen (especially since my wife and I have been trying to learn French over the past few years). However, I'm very confused after reading this thread.
Can someone please summarize the following for me:
1. What Region 1 DVDs of Amelie are being released on July 16th?
2. Will any of these have English subtitles?
3. If no to #2, is there any future Region 1 release of Amelie planned by Alliance Atlantis (who, if I'm reading the thread correctly, has the rights to English subtitles)?
Sorry for sounding like an idiot, but I read the thread many times and couldn't understand who owned what and who was releasing what when and what they weren't releasing and why not and, ... well, ... you get the picture.
:b
Thanks for your help!!!
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks