What's new

Amelie! (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if this explains what happened in the UK? When Amelie was first announced, we were promised two versions - the vanilla with a few extras and the SE with a lot more. I had the SE on advanced order and was then told that it had been indefinitely postponed, and only the vanilla was now going to be available.

Steve O

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond! I'm very much looking forward to this movie. I would like to see it in French with English subtitles, since English dubbing ruins movies for me. According to the Buena Vista Entertainment web site, it looks like this film is being released in English-only:
Amelie
{See the bottom right, which reads, "Language(s): English"}
I also don't see any specs here or on Amazon.com detailing the included subtitles. Is this just an oversight on their part? I'd be very surprised if a widely acclaimed foreign film was not presented in the original spoken language. Any help is greatly appreciated!
:)

Steve O

Stunt Coordinator
Yikes, ... there's also no information on this site regarding whether or not the Buena Vista/Mirimax release will be anamorphic widescreen and Dolby 5.1. Hopefully, this title will get the treatment that it (apparently) deserves!

Are the July 16th DVD specs posted somewhere?

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Don't worry, I wouldn't trust that website... it's full of little errors. For example, Amelie was not (unfortunately) nominated for a "Best Original Score" Academy Award.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
First, some of you talked about Quebecian Politics and you could be in trouble... If it wasn't for the rules against political discussions, I would have made a similar rant, including explaining the reasons they want to oppress english speaking... I wish I could...

I have to confess...after reading Martin's post, I was taken aback. I initially was bewildered with the idea that Quebec had some arcane, oppressive, quasi-martial law forbidding the discussion of their political system. Only later did it dawn on me that Martin was referring to HTF's own no-political discussion rules. Well,...I hope he was referring to HTF's rules and not Quebec's.

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
I have to confess...after reading Martin's post, I was taken aback. I initially was bewildered with the idea that Quebec had some arcane, oppressive, quasi-martial law forbidding the discussion of their political system. Only later did it dawn on me that Martin was referring to HTF's own no-political discussion rules. Well,...I hope he was referring to HTF's rules and not Quebec's.
I was talking about HTF... It concerned me a little because my thread about "Is OSL worth sacrificing" almost fell into the political trap.
I hope the US/Canada version of Amelie will contain a DTS track with english subs. A 2.0 English dub could be good to :laugh: at!
As for the extras, I don't really need english subs since my first language is french, but I do believe that they should be subbed... (Just like I believe that all DVDs should have french subs on the feature AND extras)

Eric Sevigny

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry... Digging up an old thread, but this is Amélie related.
I just got a DVD-ROM and was on a marathon playing disks I have on it when I stumbled on the R1 TVA edition of Amélie and was surprised to notice it wasn't a progressive transfer...
My question would be... Should I be concerned? I thought pretty much all movies were encoded progressive by default... I was looking forward to rewatching most of my collection on my HDTV, when I'll be able to afford one that is :D
Shouldn't a progressive transfer be as important as an anamorphic one? I rarely seen ANY mention of progressive encodes on the forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks