What's new

Amazing Race Season 25 (1 Viewer)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I didn't see a thread for this so apologies if this is a duplicate.

My main reason for posting is to remind everyone the Race is on Friday's this season! CBS finally loses football so we can actually watch this on time and it's moved to a different night... We'll probably still watch it on Sunday's anyway...

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Thought it got off to a decent start. Pleased with the first team eliminated, very arrogant and much to impressed with themselves.

The "dentists" are certainly an odd pair. For being dentists/orthodontists they have the most phony looking, overly white, perfect teeth it's almost creepy. I'm guessing they both have full sets of veneers and they chose the whitest, brightest color possible.Little early, but I do like the surfer team, the shark attack victim seems to really be able to hold her own. Also like the Boston firefighters, nice guys. Couldn't quite tell what happened at the seaplane sign-up, goes really fast, but looks like manners got tossed out the window and the Realtors grabbed the sign-up pen out of the firefighters hand. Later on the Realtors got what they deserved. As the saying goes, payback's a bitch.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I completely agree, Stan. I was very pleased to see the realtors eliminated so early, especially after their behavior at the sign-up board and then their comment when boarding the sea plane: "See ya suckers!" They got what they deserved.

And, yeah, the dentists' smiles are definitely creepy white. Totally overdone. As was his fake orange tan in some of the pre-race footage.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I will have to get used to the show being on Fridays now!

Nice start to the season, as the show acknowledged where it all began, not only by starting in NYC, but also having teams going to the very 1st finish line in Queens. Just nice not have to see another LA starting line.

Don't really have any favorites yet, but like others, I am not sad to see the realtors get eliminated. And I can't really blame the teams from quitting the roadblock, though my initial reaction was like "again?".

The US Virgin Islands looked really nice!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Watching this season with declining interest.

This is one of those shows I watch while multitasking with something else.

The guy dentist seems waaay to creepy. That's a scary smile.

I like the firefighters. I like the pro wrestlers.

I would say both of those teams are becoming fast favorites.

Really wild there were two eliminations in two weeks.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Yeah, the dentist is creepy, and a bit of a jerk too. Starting to find the mother-daughter team a bit annoying; at least the daughter anyway. That crying jag was WAY over the top for an adult. I was hoping they were going to be eliminated. So far, the only team I really disliked was the realtors. I'm liking a few teams right now. We'll see where this goes.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I'm enjoying the race so far. The first leg elimination was well-earned. The second leg win was great. I don't really hate any teams yet (and may not at all), but that may change as the herd gradually gets thinned and things get more heated and desperate.

Favorite team, pretty much right out of the gate, is the Surfers. Very likeable couple, both very capable, with great personalities.

I also particularly like the Food Scientists and the Mother/Daughter Flight Attendants, though the daughter's overdone crying jag in Leg 2 was disappointing. Most of the other teams haven't really made an impression yet, although the Firefighters are coming across (to me, anyway) as a couple of self-serious sad sacks. Unless things change, I could see them getting eliminated before long.

The Dental Team has been pretty competent, though over-the-top and sort of comical... with his too-white smile, orange tan makeup and jock physique, the guy looks like a movie comedy stereotype of the buff, next-door-neighbor jerk who will get his eventual comeuppance. The Dentists may well end up as the amusing "villains" of the race, along the lines of Rob and Amber, way back in Season 7.

Mr. Dentist (Jim Raman):

melgibson2011copy_zpsbfc6e45d.jpg
+
NealMcDonoughcopy_zps5f062371.jpg
+
chapman_meaning_of_life_wigcopy_zpsb1532425.jpg
=
jim-raman-1copy_zps79a15377.jpg

I'm also really liking the new Friday night timeslot. No overtime delays from sports, no risk of enduring any insufferably pompous 60 Minutes hosts ahead of the race. I hope the show flourishes in this space. :cool:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Peter, I'm also enjoying the Friday night timeslot. Kind of a repeat of what you said, but no delays, no missing portions because of football over-runs, no setting the DVR to record an extra hour "just in case" timing is off. This has always been my favorite "reality" show, so much more real than other shows, none of the phony, edited drama of shows like Survivor.

Of course they probably have hundred of hours of footage to edit down to about 45 or so minutes each week, but it's well done. Unlike Survivor where Jeff Probst is close to becoming president of the "Cheez" factory.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I am liking the Friday timeslot too - I always had to record an extra hour on the DVR to make sure it caught the whole episode due to the sports delays.

(I actually still have it set to do that and ended up watching Hawaii 5-0 yesterday too. :lol:)

Surfers are my favorite team right now as well.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I did like the 2nd leg, as they finally did one in London itself, rather than just pass through it. No first-in, first-out type tasks.

It is almost never a good sign when a team says that they are a superfan of the show, or have watched all the seasons and prepared a lot for it. Because it almost means that their elimination is coming up. That goes to show, no matter how much preparation beforehand, the race will just throw some curveball out of nowhere that will wreck that dream, really quickly.

And next thing you know, the team that prepared, gets eliminated so early. Can't say that I like or hate the Southeast Asian couple, since we hardly got to know them. The flight attendants are probably not far behind on the chopping block, and thus more crying.

I did like the idea of having teams to go for the Express Pass, almost done the same way as going for the Fast Forward. Too bad it's done only for a leg. But glad to see a different team get it, because it would have been absolutely too much if the dentists got it, which could lead to dominance.

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede
Loved the sheep-herding challenge - some really funny stuff. I didn't like the dentists at first, but the guy is backing up his big talk and they do seem very capable and work well together. Maybe they will go all the way.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Sorry to see
the firemen
go, but they did make a pretty basic mistake with the clue. So far so good; there really isn't a team I hate right now. I get a little annoyed with the dentist's constant bravado, but like David said, for now he's backing it up so you can't really argue with it.

Loved the sheep and the Shetland ponies.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I was going to say the same thing about the dentists. I expected to hate them but they're doing a solid job, aren't assholes, and he's not an abusive jerk. But they're also pretty much on their own right now. When they're in the thick of it with other teams I wonder how they'll hold up.

I can't believe the team that went out could take an hour long detour and still expect to not come in last.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I'm also kind of reversing my original opinion on the dentists. They're turning out to be really nice people, playing fair.

Surprised at the team eliminated. Seems a bit brutal this year, thought they'd be saved, but nope, "You've been eliminated".

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I thought if the mistakes or being too slow would not cause the firefighters elimination, that ankle eventually would.

Looks like the only other team that could keep up with the dentists, are the surfers. The other teams just seem so hapless, when compared to those 2 teams.

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
I don't quit understand why the surfer with the missing arm insists on wearing the sleeveless tank top all the time. They both seem to really want to show off she's missing an arm. Last night he stood there massaging it. Just kind of disconcerting

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
They're surfers. They're wearing athletic wear. She probably gets phantom arm pain from time to time and the massaging helps. I've got no problem with it. If that is how the save is to be used it is the most powerful card in the amazing race period. Having that could almost guarantee them a win. Wished last night was an elimination leg. Just to level the playing field.I must agree with Stan, however, the dentists really took their fall to last place very well and didn't get terribly mad at the game or each other, which I probably thought they would. I suppose it could just be editing, but regardless, I don't hate them.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Yeah, the dentists took their mistakes and outcome with good grace. Good for them. AND they got to keep the Save for another day.

I have really come to dislike the daughter in the mother-daughter team. Can't stand immature drama queens, and she is proving herself one now with this meltdown on the heels of her over the top crying jag earlier.

Shocked and saddened that seemingly only ONE team knew the capitals of the Scandinavian countries!! Geez, that is elementary school stuff!

Anyway, other than the daughter, I like everybody else for the most part. But that could change as the gloves come off.

MikeEn

Stunt Coordinator
JohnMor said:
I have really come to dislike the daughter in the mother-daughter team. Can't stand immature drama queens, and she is proving herself one now with this meltdown on the heels of her over the top crying jag earlier.
Actual quote from the mom on the team bio page:

Pet peeve about your teammate: She likes to take pictures of her poop and text them to us (family).

Surprised no one else has spotted this nugget ... er ...

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede
Unlike the current dreadful season of Survivor, this Amazing Race installment is shaping up quite nicely. Love the destinations, love the challenges, and there's no one running this time as obnoxious as Luke or the Twinnies.

One day I'd really like to get these on DVD and watch them with freeze-frames and longer looks at the places the teams visit, like the restaurant in this last episode. What a fascinating place with a great history.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks