What's new

AMADEUS Director's cut (1 Viewer)

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Amadeus - The Director's cut opens tomorrow, anyone read any reviews?

Los Angeles weekly says the added footage expands on Mozart's inability to manage money, and "the authority and intelligence Elizabeth Berridge brings to her role - unjustly obsured before, are now impossible to ignore" Some critics faulted Berridge (who replaced an injured Meg Tilly) when the film first opened.

Paul P

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Oh my god guys-- I got to see the preview for this at DOLBY LABS here in SF. It was unbelievable. Long. But unbelievable. The music is incredible. Go see it in the theatre. It's worth it.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Saw "Amadeus - The Director's Cut" today at the Cinerama Dome. The film was quite impressive on the large curved screen and the Dome was also impressive with it's new seats and curtains etc.

The film was long without an intermission break, but being one of my favorites I didn't mind. The new scenes were incorporated into the original seamlessly. There are a few surprises – character actor Kenneth McMillan, who was completely cut out of the original film, is included in two scenes.

One in which Mozart storms out of his home after trying to teach his daughter amid barking dogs. As he storms out he grabs a bottle and begins to drink heavily - the next scene was in the original film and portrayed Mozart's drinking as irresponsible and childish, here there’s a pretty obvious reason behind it. The other scene Mozart comes begging for a loan

Salieri comes off more hateful in this version,

Informing (lying)to the Emperor that Mozart seduces his students, so know one will hire him for instruction and telling Mozart’s wife the only way Mozart can teach is if she sleeps with him.

By the films end we understand exactly why Constanze despises Salieri.

Christine Ebersole’s role is expanded in a funny scene after Mozart’s engagement is announced. Many people whispered when Cynthia Nixon (Sex and the City) entered the film as the maid sent by Salieri (I didn’t realize she was in the film either). There are a few other added scenes and some of the operas seemed to include more singing.

It was great seeing a new print of the film up on the big screen. The reserved seat policy at the Dome was a throw back to the days of the Roadshow film. Tickets were only (Only!) $11.00 plus there was street parking. Go see it if you are lucky enough to get the chance.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
It's in limited engagement right now.

I'll try to watch this at the Cinerama Dome.

~T

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Well the good news is it's eventually coming here :D , I just don't know when :frowning:. A friend told me tonight that he saw a local newspaper that was holding a contest to distribute tickets for the show's re-release preview in the city. He just doesn't remember the date of the premiere.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Just saw the new cut tonight. The new footage deepens the characters of Salieri and Constanze in particular:

The 'humiliation' scene, mentioned above and which I found effective in shedding light on Constanza's formerly 'harsh' behavior towards Salieri at the end of the original cut (the *audience* knows the extent of his deviousness, but her intense anger always seemed slightly odd to me). Also, we see Mozart at least TRY to take on a pupil! (Funny scene, too).

Was it just me, or were some of the musical scenes extended just a little? (particularly Don Giovanni?) .. who knows.

I really liked the first scene mentioned in my spoiler, but its harshness seemed to throw off a couple of more conservative couples in the audience who were used to the comparitively tame deviousness of Salieri in the original cut. (there were a few uncomfortable chortles)

Side Rant: I really wanted to experience this one fresh (having sold my flipper about six months ago). Being the obnoxious purist I am, I had to move to the front after the man behind me, who obviously knew the movie by heart, began whispering loudly to his wife during EVERY split second of new footage: "this is new... wait, this wasn't in the original." Sort of distracting!

~Steve (listening to 'nozze' now!)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I suppose we might eventually get this movie in Britain (probably in one arthouse cinema in London) before the inevitable SE DVD. I like the movie in spite of its historical anachronisms, not least the utterly unfair portrait of Salieri.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Yes, the film is certainly a "creative fabrication". It's nothing against Salieri personally; both composers' places in history (and a few famous myths) provided a perfect backdrop for a fictional story about art, genius and jealousy. It was certainly never intended as a biography or historical document (though granted - some audiences might not know that).

~Steve

James D S

Screenwriter
Houston's getting shafted too. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
I was looking forward to this one. Oh well, bring on the DVD...

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I doubt this will play in Atlanta, so I'm looking forward to the DVD.

The film always seemed a little condensed to me in a few places, so I welcome Forman's new cut!

Ray Suarez

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
I was at Landmark Century Cinema tonight watching Y Tu Mama Tambien (:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: BTW) and there were 'coming soon' signs for Amadeus, DC. I'll call tomorrow to see if I can get a release date.
Ray
Better yet...here is the info . Looks like Friday April 19th.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
I really recommend fans of this movie pick up Peter Shaffer's original play. There are some notes in the front (of the printing I have anyway) that discuss the idea of the historical "fantasia" as well as some of the differences between the stage play and the screenplay. The script is fascinating, and maybe even juicier than the movie.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I suppose we might eventually get this movie in Britain (probably in one arthouse cinema in London) before the inevitable SE DVD
I'd keep an eye on the Curzon in Mayfair, this is right up their street (god bless em for showing 70mm versions of Lawrence of Arabia and 2001 in the last 18 months).

Dan

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Ray for that info!!!! I can't wait to see this on the big screen. And the Director's Cut to boot. FA-GETTA-BOUT-IT.
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

StuartK

Grip
Any new footage that was not included as an extra on the Pioneer Special Edition laserdisc set from some years ago?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks