What's new

Almost There, Just A Little More Help... (1 Viewer)

SamNF

Grip
Well, I've deceided on a pair of Ascend CBM-170s to start off my new system. I'd pick up a Hsu VTF-2 as well, but the $811 shipped is nearly as much as I can spend on a stereo pair, receiver, and sub.

As for a receiver, I've been looking at the H/K 325Z refurb from Onecall (~$400 shipped), and the Marantz SR5200/SR5300 ($350/$410 - is there any difference besides the 5w/channel?.)
I've read where they are all very musical sounding (important!) and seem to have a lot of features. Eventually, as budget allows, I'll pick up some more CBM-170s to fill out a 6.1 or 7.1 setup.

Now, I'd like to ask whether anyone could direct me to a less expensive, yet nearly as feature packed and good sounding receiver? What about a tight, high quality subwoofer for less? I ask tongue-in-cheekly, as these seem a bargain anyway, but I really would appreciate any comments and suggestions at all about any of this.

Lastly, if anyone is upgrading their systems, I'd be amenable to working out something with their used equipment too.

Really, I'd build my own sub too, but where I'm currently living I have no tools or work area!

At any rate, thanks for your time :)

-- Sam

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Congratulations on your purchases, Sam. I would think that a Denon 1803 or similar would be a good buy. This is a 5.1 receiver and can be found for under $200. It is rated at 80 watts/channel. While not overpowering, this should be enough to drive your 170s. This is a 5.1 receiver and right now they seem to be a bit better price performers than 6.1 or 7.1 systems. Since you are starting with two fronts, a receiver like this should provide value for some time.

I have listened to the 170s and think them a fine value, butI am not an expert on Ascend speakers, so you might wish to contact someone on the forum who is (like CurtisSC).

SamNF

Grip
I'll certainly have a look at that receiver when I get back from the bank. I just ordered my Ascends about 30 seconds ago; now I really need something to hook them up to! Ah, the anticipation begins...

-- Sam

Steve Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
I might be interested in selling my less than one year old, perfect condition Marantz SR-6200 in the near future....probably around the end of the year. Is this something that someone on this forum who is looking to either upgrade their HT or even someone new looking for a good receiver might be interested in?
I've never sold used equipment before, always moved it to the family room. But the new Yamaha receiver I want is just so expensive that I'll need to recover some money from my Marantz to afford it.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks