What's new

All widescreen movies have black bar? (1 Viewer)

Sumir B

Agent
Hey guys,

My 65hdx82 finally arrived so I decided to break it in by watching some movies. Well I have seen about 15 DVDs now and I noticed that they all have the same size horizontal blackbars when viewed in full mode.

In the manual it stated that anything that was 16:9 will be in that ratio when in normal mode, but when I select that mode it goes to 4:3.

Any help?

CameronS

Supporting Actor
My best guess would be that you have been watching a lot of movies with a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, which would create black bars.

The reason is the difference between the film and the 16:9 TV screen's aspect ratio of 1.77:1. If you watch anything with a 1.85:1 aspect ratio it will fill the screen.

What were some of the titles you were watching?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
And, Sumir, bear in mind that while TVs come in two nominal shapes, movies come in several shapes. Neither the 4:3 nor the 16:9 aspect ratios can accommodate all films perfectly. Black bars will always be a fact of life to some extent.

Sumir B

Agent
Hmm I have watched, The Royal Tenenbaums, LotR to name a few. Thanks for the input guys.

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
First, go into the menus on your DVD player, and make absolutely certain you have told the DVD player that you are hooking it up to a 16 X 9 widescreen TV (as opposed to a standard 4 X 3 set).

Once you are certain this is fixed...

Look carefully at the back of the DVD case. IF it says 2.30:1 or 2.35:1, (or anything close to that) you should definitely see black bars.

If it says 1.85:1 or 1.78:1 (or anything very close to that), you may not even see bars, or you may see bars, but very, very thin ones, ones that are barely even noticable.

Lord of the Rings / Black Hawk Down / Harry Potter / Ocean's Eleven / Gosford Park / : you will see the bars on thes films (2.35:1 ratio). These movies were "very wide" widescreen.

Monsters, Inc. / Jurassic Park films / Toy Story I, & Toy Story II / Shrek / A Beautiful Mind : These films were 1.78:1 widescreen. You should not see any bars, or if you do, you will have to look very, very carefully, they are so tiny.

Hope this helps,

-Bruce in Chi-Town

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks