What's new

All right, how do you pronounce "Redux"? (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Rob,
I believed you were going to tell us it's originally pronounced "rucks" in UK English :).
Cees

Mitty

Supporting Actor
And if someone said po-tah-to in normal conversation, you wouldn't give them the ironic smile? :)
Not if they were British. Well, that pronunciation of potato might be a stretch (I dunno), but I've heard "to-mah-to" plenty of times.
Anyhoo, I'd hardly expect a French person (I don't have a lot of exposure to French people, but I do have plenty of exposure to French-Canadians) to pronounce it "Ree-Ducks."
Then again, I've heard people with names like Gagner pronounced "Gayg-nur" with a straight face, so...

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
WOW, I thought it was re-doo, but I went to one of those online dictionaries where you can hear somone pronounce the word, and it says re-ducks

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
i don't get how people got re-doo out of that

I guess i've never really heard anyone say it and just read it redux as in chemistry...or is that spelt different?

MikeGeary

Auditioning
I'd hardly expect a French person (I don't have a lot of exposure to French people, but I do have plenty of exposure to French-Canadians) to pronounce it "Ree-Ducks."
Why would the French have any special expertise in pronouncing this word? It's not a French word!
But you bring up an interesting point. I've been mispronouncing redux as "re-doo" for years because it looked French to me and I figured that would be how the French would pronounce it.
It was a bit educational to actually look the word up and find out that it's not French at all...
-Mike

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
There is nothing remotely French about "redux". Why one would think it is a french word is beyond me :eek:
And... "ree-doo"? WTF? How did you guys come up with that?!
--
Holadem

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks