What's new

All right, how do you pronounce "Redux"? (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Rob,
I believed you were going to tell us it's originally pronounced "rucks" in UK English :).
Cees

Mitty

Supporting Actor
And if someone said po-tah-to in normal conversation, you wouldn't give them the ironic smile? :)
Not if they were British. Well, that pronunciation of potato might be a stretch (I dunno), but I've heard "to-mah-to" plenty of times.
Anyhoo, I'd hardly expect a French person (I don't have a lot of exposure to French people, but I do have plenty of exposure to French-Canadians) to pronounce it "Ree-Ducks."
Then again, I've heard people with names like Gagner pronounced "Gayg-nur" with a straight face, so...

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
WOW, I thought it was re-doo, but I went to one of those online dictionaries where you can hear somone pronounce the word, and it says re-ducks

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
i don't get how people got re-doo out of that

I guess i've never really heard anyone say it and just read it redux as in chemistry...or is that spelt different?

MikeGeary

Auditioning
I'd hardly expect a French person (I don't have a lot of exposure to French people, but I do have plenty of exposure to French-Canadians) to pronounce it "Ree-Ducks."
Why would the French have any special expertise in pronouncing this word? It's not a French word!
But you bring up an interesting point. I've been mispronouncing redux as "re-doo" for years because it looked French to me and I figured that would be how the French would pronounce it.
It was a bit educational to actually look the word up and find out that it's not French at all...
-Mike

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
There is nothing remotely French about "redux". Why one would think it is a french word is beyond me :eek:
And... "ree-doo"? WTF? How did you guys come up with that?!
--
Holadem

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks