What's new

All owners of Pioneer DV-47A please give your impressions (1 Viewer)

I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on this player so I would like all who have it to answer this one question-After owning and testing the player would you purchase again?

Thanks again for all your help!!

JaleelK

Second Unit
I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on this player so I would like all who have it to answer this one question-After owning and testing the player would you purchase again?
As I have said in another thread regarding SACD and DVD-A players, the lack of bass management is major reason why you reject any player without it. According to those who own the 47-A it has absolutely no bass management for SACD or DVD-A.

I think its unforgiveable for any DVD-A or SACD player to not have bass management at this point. The manufacturers all ready know that multichannel set-ups in our home theater systems, which usually consist of 5 small non-full range speakers and sub or a combination large mains, a small center and surrounds. The manufacturers are aware that a multichannel music set-up will be the same set-up we use for home theater, so not to include bass management is unacceptable.

I hope that you will not purchase the 47A from Pioneer until manufacturers like them and others get the format

right. We must say to them, "we are not going to purchase a player and let you trick us into upgrading(spending more $$)later".

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I don't own the '47A, but I finally saw one at Tweeter tonight. It may sound great (not so sure), but I was thoroughly unimpressed with the build quality. It is a lightweight, and the chassis top feels like plastic. It probably isn't plastic, but it feels like it. The build quality is not in keeping with the $800-1000 price. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
I say go for it................

The 47A is pretty much the only game in town if you want a single player that can do both DVD Audio and SACD.

Video quality is on par with the excellent 91RP. I've also been very impressed with it's audio performance, compared to my Sony XA777ES and the 91RP.

True, it is a light weight but does come with a very very heavy power cord.

Bass management shouldn't really be an issue in purchasing this unit as many new receivers/prepros are including bass management for it's multichannel inputs or there's the best bass management option, the Outlaw ICBM.

The 47A can be had for around $750 shipped.

For me it was a no brainer............

geo

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
wait, did you just say it compared to a sony 777es, in a combo DVD unit??? please clearify???, if so, mine is on order tomarrow.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rodney asked:

wait, did you just say it compared to a sony 777es, in a combo DVD unit??? please clearify???, if so, mine is on order tomarrow.
Now, Geo, I don't mean to steal your thunder, but I will say that the view that the '47A is comparable to the 'XA777ES is not in keeping with other reviews I have read. Some people have said that the '47A doesn't sound as good as Sony's lesser expensive SACD players like the 'S9000ES or 'C555ES. Obviously opinions vary, but I would not expect the '47A to keep up with the 'XA777ES. If that were the case, then the '47A really is a no-brainer.

Gary Hudson

Auditioning
I received this unit on Monday and I can give you my impressions of it. So far, I like it. I would caution you that I am not a super-critical reviewer. I love home theater and have done so since the sony beta days, but my focus has always been on the movie or music, with whatever I had available to play it. I used a first generation pioneer laserdisc/dvd player as my unit until I got the 47A. It had what, 8-bit video? Of course, the picture on the 47 is a huge improvement over the old unit even in interlaced mode. If there is any problem with the picture it is that I notice EE or ringing or whatever it is more with this unit on some material, but I have not adjusted it fully with Avia yet. I use a sharp lcd projector and throw a big picture with it, and it looks gorgeous. I want to upgrade to the 9000 dlp and use the progressive scan mode, but I have to implement upgrades gradually.

I got my first dvd-audio discs yesterday. They were "Hotel California" and "American Beauty". I will tell you that I was pleased to hear how good the Eagles sounded even without the bass management. I planned on buying the outlaw ICBM, but I can listen quite comfortably to this disc without any bass management. I have M&K speakers all around and they handle no bass. The subwoofer gets plenty on this disc in 6 channel mode. Not so sure about the Grateful Dead surround mix yet, and I haven't tried high resolution 2 channel sound yet. Its something you can't change back and forth on the fly with the 47A.

Weight of the unit was not a factor to me. It is light if you have a problem with that sort of thing, but I don't relate that to build quality. It looks good in the rack.

I haven't bought any SACD discs yet, so no input on how it will play those. My old cds sound better than ever before.

My plan is to get more high resolution audio discs and listen like I'm a kid again. I'll also go back through my dvds a watch them again. Maybe some superbits? Down the road I'll probably get the outlaw and then a new projector.

I would recommend this player if you want one unit to handle several chores. If you don't mind several different units optimized for each format and you have a way to switch between them, then you might choose that route.

I'd recommend the 47.

Hope this helps.

G

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I had posted some initial impressions on another thread - quotes from below. Goog package for the money at this time:

"I had an opportunity to compare the video performance of the DV-47A vs. the Rotel 1066 on a Sharp 9000 front projector and a Grayhawk 110 inch inch screen. Compared it in both interlaced component and progressive scan component. The picture on the DV-47A was a drop softer than the Rotel which was a plus in some instances. It helds it own nicely. The Proceed PMDT was obviously better than either. I also compared 2-channel SACD performance on the DV-47A vs. a Marantz SA-14 via a Bryston analog preamp, a 4B-ST amp and Vienna Mozart speakers. The Marantz clearly was much better. I previously compared the Marantz to my Sony 9000ES and the Marantz was better. I felt the Sony was a drop better than the DV-47A on 2-channel SACD. The sound of the DV-47A was more laid back and not as detailed. It is still an excellent package for the money but clearly not necessarily as good as other things out there. The other major problem I have with the unit is that to change from the CD layer of a disc to the SACD layer requires going in to the menu vs. a button on the remote."

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the 47A is comparable to the XA777ES. I'm saying the 47A did a good job with multichannel DVD Audio and multichannel SACD disc when used in conjuction with the Outlaw ICBM.

The 777ES is a much better 2 channel source on SACD and Redbook CDs.

Also I was very impressed with the video performance compared to my 91RP and Technics A10. I would say video performance was indeed a little softer with the 47A vs the 91RP, but this was not in a bad way. I can say I had a slight preference for the slightly sharper at times 91RP picture.

But overall I thought the 47A did a more than admirable job considering it does so much for so little.

geo

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
Rodney,

I really can't hear a difference between the 47A and the A10 with DVD Audio disc. Overall I prefer the 47A to the A10 because of progressive scan and of course SACD. Although the A10 is built like a tank and a great deal for those not into SACD or don't need the progressive scan feature. The Pioneer has a very attractive

Elite faceplate and the heavy duty powercord mentioned earlier.

I would say it's a small step below the 91RP in terms of video quality but equal in terms of DVD Audio performance.

And a slight step above the Sony 222ES, as a SACD player.

geo

Mavrick

Auditioning
I have had the 47a for about 1 month ,along with the ICBM,

and for the money I would say it does a fine job on all the

formats that it supports.........

Have a good day....

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
geo, thanx for the reply, I have an A10 and the profile suits me perfect b/c I can't use prog scan, your right when you say it is built like a tank, it is a nice piece, I have the 222ES, and it is built well too. Are you really saying that the 47 sounds better in SACD than the 222, have you or any one else done a test between the 2 (I would be curious to read them)??

thanx

David Judah

Screenwriter
...have you or any one else done a test between the 2
Yes, I have and I couldn't tell the difference between the two on SACD. For Redbook they had different sonic signatures with the Sony being a little sharper in the high end and the Pioneer a little more laid back. Personal taste would dictate preference. Overall, the Pioneer is a good player, IMO, especially when you factor in features for price.
Btw, Rodney, quit being a copy-cat. We both have the A-10, 222ES, and B&W CDM-NTs(OK, I'll fess up--I copied you on the 222ES because I just got it).:D;)
DJ

JaleelK

Second Unit
Bass management shouldn't really be an issue in purchasing this unit as many new receivers/prepros are including bass management for it's multichannel inputs or there's the best bass management option, the Outlaw ICBM.
I disagree, you should have to purchase an extra tool for bass management, it should be incorporated into the players. Also, they aren't that many receivers or pre/pro that perform bass management for DVD-A or SACD on the market. Demanding bass management for DVD-A and SACD is for those who have current hardware that don't perform bass management and who just can't go out and spend extra money on new receivers and pre/pros every 9 months that incorporate new features like this. I think if the consumer demanded real bass management for DVD-A and SACD in the players, the manufacturers will design them to do so, but as long we let them off the hook and just say " you don't really need bass management or just get and ICBM" they will be slow add this vital function to DVD-A and SACD players.

As for the 47A, I was condidering this player until I was told it has no bass management for SACD or DVD-A. Sure you probably can get for $750, although I haven't seen that price, but lets do some numbers.

$750.00 for the player

+$20.00 for the shipping cost "cha ching"

+$250.00 for ICBM for bass management "cha ching"

+$20.00 for shipping for ICBM "cha ching"

+$30.00 for extra interconnects for ICBM "cha ching"

grand total of $1,070.

So you see, you end up spending over a grand to do it right. To some that might not be much , but to others it is and we hate to have spend extra for something that should be included from the start.

David Judah

Screenwriter
Jaleel, I understand your reservations, but unless someone has a true sub/sat system, the lack of bass management shouldn't be a deal breaker.

While it would be nice to have DVD-V like bass management, so that every kind of hardware installation can get the full benefit, in many situations it's not critical(meaning it's not worth missing out on the formats).

1. Most LF info. on DVD-A & SACD does not go as low as the LF info. on DVD soundtracks.

2. For multi-channel discs, not all songs are mixed with bass spread evenly through all channels. It is sometimes weighted up front, so if someone has MAINS flat to say 40Hz, they will still get decent bass, especially if the engineer put most of the lowest stuff to the LFE channel.

You can certainly wait until the pre/pros & receivers have firewire inputs and the players have firewire outputs, where the player will perform the decoding(DSD or MLP), and the pre/pro will do bass management, but IMO it's not worth waiting that long, missing out now, and investing much more money than an ICBM costs(after all, you will need a new player and a new pre/pro or receiver).

DJ

PomingF

Second Unit
Well Mark, so far so good. Spent a few hours rearranged rack space to house the Pioneer & Sony, hooked up the center & surround speakers then off to setup the entire system. Other than a slight hum which resolved after plugging everything into the same outlet I have to say the whole process is quite intuitive.
So far I had played segments of Eagles' Hotel California, Blue Man Group's Audio & Jeff Beck's Blow by Blow and am quite impressed with the material as well as the player. Granted this is my first venture into SACD & DVD-A, I really have no reference point other than a few DTS CD/music DVD and I believe the newer formats sound better with better resolution & dynamics in all channels. Of course till I have the chance to compare the same material with the same system it's all just brute memory. Later on when I have the chance will play the Blue Man Group again in DD to compare. Btw, even without a SW, the Diva 6.1/C3/R3 system is doing a very admirable job and I am not sure if I need to add one since I won't be doing any movie with this system anyway. One final word is I am glad I waited for the Pioneer. :)
Cheers.
PF

Joe e h

Stunt Coordinator
David

A little off topic. Who makes the couch in your bottom picture? We are looking for a new one for the HT.

Joe

David Judah

Screenwriter
Thanks Rodney. The weak link is the receiver I'm using as a processor(it's about 3 years old), which should remedied by the Outlaw 950.

Congrats, Poming, on the Poineer. It's a great all-around unit. I think after you spend a little more time with DVD-A & SACD, you'll be even happier you took the plunge.

Joe, the reclining love seat is part of a sectional, but I only bought the loveseat and the sofa(no wedge). I got it at a local furniture store--it's made by Douglas and it's called the Stanza.

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks