What's new

All LG OLED 4K TVs are on sale at Value Electronics (1 Viewer)

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Mardi Gras has ramped up here, my DVR's and movies will be way behind 3 weeks from now. I am watching Deepwater Horizon this Sunday night, be damned.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mardi Gras has ramped up here, my DVR's and movies will be way behind 3 weeks from now.

Then you'll need to watch the new Jack Reacher movie. There is a pretty laughable presentation of what Mardi Gras is all about. Overall I liked the film, but I kept thinking through the New Orleans segments that it could have been a much bigger setpiece (think the opening of SPECTRE). But I still enjoyed the film.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
My impressions after a week of ownership, vs the EF9500:

• Near black is much improved. When there is compression you still have some noise, but it blends well as it comes out of black, you don’t have these 8 bit Minecraft looking blocks.
  • Handshake is quirky on the E6, the EF9500 never had an issue but when switching inputs on my Marantz I sometimes lose it and must power cycle the source device, or change inputs. Most of the time the E6 will get it back on its own though without me doing anything, but it is way more sensitive than the EF9500.
  • I still feel the overall image is more “clean” looking too.
  • Still no complaints with HDR and flesh tones, etc. look proper to me.
  • I have not had one problem using Blur Reduction 10, where as I could not use it often with 60hz on the EF9500. I have found certain times using 1 DJ causes tearing on 60 hz, but 1 and 10 on 24hz Blu-ray looks great. I found a movie with a good side pan with buildings and windows and watched it with TM off RC on, TM 0 and 10 and then TM 1 and 10. IMO, TM off was terrible with the judder and bouncing windows, 0 and 10 and 1 and 10 were close if not the same but looked MUCH better. This is pretty much what I saw on side scrolling 24hz patterns with Spears and Munsil, so 1 and 10 is what I’ll be using.

I’ve also been running 1 and 10 on 60hz the last few nights, and it seems it depends on the program if you see any tearing or not, and IMO, the all the time increase in clarity trumps the rare tearing or artifact. YMMV as motion settings are always owner’s choice and highly subjective. The only thing of truth is, you get max motion rez with 0 and 10.
  • The menu structure is better, its faster and the toned-down black is so much nicer, especially when it’s in HDR mode. The white menus on the EF9500 were WOW.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I viewed Suicide Squad and Lucy 4K/UHD discs today. Also, did some comparison scenes between "The Bourne Identity" 4K/UHD and Blu-ray discs. Some people are saying they can't see a difference, I'm seeing some difference with the HDR.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched the "Deepwater Horizon" 4K/UHD disc today. I had a few dropouts the last 10-15 minutes of the film. For the most part, this 2K up-rez looks very good and the soundtrack is out of this world.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Well, I FINALLY may be able to sit down and watch a full UHD/HDR blu-ray tonight and fully try out my calibrated HDR mode lol...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, I FINALLY may be able to sit down and watch a full UHD/HDR blu-ray tonight and fully try out my calibrated HDR mode lol...
Yeah, you need to pick up the pace. Yesterday, I watched Underworld on 4K/UHD disc.:) Today, I'll watch another 4K/UHD disc as I'm still deciding on which title to watch.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
LOL.

I have these sitting here looking at me (UHD Bluray)

Miss Peregrine
Deepwater
Accountant
Inferno
John Wick
Jack Reacher 2

AND, I get the Arrival this week...

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Yeah, you need to pick up the pace. Yesterday, I watched Underworld on 4K/UHD disc.:) Today, I'll watch another 4K/UHD disc as I'm still deciding on which title to watch.

Have you messed with any of the Trumotion settings? These seem to have better motion than the 2015's, but I am using Deblur 10 because it gives you 600 lines of motion rez, and I can prove the benefit with side pans on 24hz sources and side scrolling test patterns. Dejudder even on 1 causes artifacts, so I am running DJ 0 DB 10.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Have you messed with any of the Trumotion settings? These seem to have better motion than the 2015's, but I am using Deblur 10 because it gives you 600 lines of motion rez, and I can prove the benefit with side pans on 24hz sources and side scrolling test patterns. Dejudder even on 1 causes artifacts, so I am running DJ 0 DB 10.
I try not to mess with any settings which is why I had the panel calibrated.

Today, I decided to watch a BD instead of a 4K/UHD disc so "The Professionals" one of my favorite films of all-time got today's viewing. Very pleasing to my eyes!

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Understood, but adjusting either wont mess up your cal. There is a little too much judder for me with TM off, Im liking Deblur at 10 and Dejudder at 0 right now. Cleans up the side pans and I dont see artifacts. Everyone seems to see motion a little different though.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Deepwater Horizon looked great, the image was razor sharp. I felt the use of HDR was a little subdued, but when he was walking down the hallway in the dark, the times where the flashlight was aimed at the screen I felt like I actually had a flashlight in my face.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Few shots of the service menu. 347 operational hours so far, 19 ten minute compensation cycles have been run (run every 4 hours of uptime, once you turn off) and 3 of the sixty minute comp cycles have been run. The 60 minute ones help with uniformity in the beginning, so I assume VE ran a couple to break in. As you can see in the menu shot with TPC (ASBL), RF Comp (10 min comp cycle) and JB Comp (60 minute comp cycle), you can adjust the hour intervals if you want. The EF9500 did not have the 2000 hour big cycle, which you can actually start manually in the user menu if you get bad IR. So its cool they added the feature.

On my older model it did the 10 minute boogie every 4 hours, and I had no issues with IR or anything, so leaving that alone. I did change TPC from ON to OFF. On the EF9500 this would dim the screen after 60 seconds of a static image, problem is it uses average pic level or something and it would actually dim during long dark live scenes on game of thrones and other things. I cut it off right after I got the EF9500, because I never pause, and even though the E6 is supposed to be a little better here, I cut it off anyways.

IMG_0170.JPG IMG_0172.JPG IMG_0173.JPG

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
WHats crazy about the likes of the Shallows and TMNT 2, 2K DI. All these people that obsess over 4K DI are just missing out.
You got that right! I was like that at first before I started buying discs, player and finally a 4K/UHD panel. I'm glad I decided to keep an open mind and expand my thought process.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks