All-in-One, Part 2: Sony v. Yamaha

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David TM, Dec 2, 2001.

1. David TM

David TM Auditioning

Ok, this newbie has learned to stay away from Bose. I'm now comparing two all-in-one systems, each with five-disc CD changer. Yamaha about $100 more than Sony. Systems are the Sony DAV-C700 and the Yamaha YHT-34. I've read the CNET review of the Sony (good price but less than par sound) but haven't heard anything about the Yamaha. Any thoughts?

David

My thanks and appreciation ahead of time.

2. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Hello and glad you've dropped the Bose from consideration. I've linked a page for you here which contains a ton of reviews by different publications on HT's in a box. You're doing this the right way by making as certain as possible that you get what you want for the price you want.
    Link:http://www.ecoustics.com/Home/Home_A...eater_Systems/

3. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

David:

I believe most "boxed" systems have about equal reliability. The big difference for me is how they sound. You would figure that since they all seem to be so close in price ($500-750), that they would all sound about the same.

Not to me.

My local Circuit City stores have several on display (more than I can remember) and I played with most of them one day during lunch. The sound quality to my ears ranged from pleasant to mediocre to bleh.

Go listen to a few and trust your ears.

Rich B.