What's new

All American Girl comes to DVD!!! (1 Viewer)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
was there anyone else excited to see this yesterday? I am a big fan of Margaret Cho's and have always been curious to see the infamous sitcom she spent so much time talking about in the stand-up film I'm The One That I Want. I didn't become a convertee to her until a few years ago, and I vaguely remember the sitcom, I do remember Quinten Tarentino appearing in an episode, but at the time, I wasn't familiar with her. But since I became a fan, I have always held out hope this would come on DVD, but figured it'd be released around the same time we'd see "Life With Roger" or "Pearl" releases.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I'm very excited. :) I haven't seen any of these since the original ABC airings. I love the one with the nudist roommate. :)

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Well, I adore Margaret Cho and I have since before most people knew who she was. But unfortunately, AAG was a big disappointment considering the talented cast and the fact that it broke new ground in TV by featuring the first Asian-American family to have their own show. I'm guessing this is being released to cash in on the success of Margaret's concert DVD's.

But since this show was cancelled after one season (and a failed re-vamp) that means it never made it to syndication. So perhaps these episodes will at least be un-cut. Hopefully this means that even more "one year wonders" will make it to DVD. I'd love to see shows like Delta & Women Of The House, personally.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Margaret is doing at least one commentary track for the set. I'm kind of surprised considering what a terrible time she had on the show. She was trashed in the media for portraying asian-americans in an unflattering light because her character was considered too flippant. The network pressured her into losing weight which eventually led to her being hospitalized for an eating disorder.

I'm curious as to what she'll say in the commentary track. If I were ABC my ears would be burning.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Her entire "I'm the One that I Want" was basically her story of how she was chewed up and spit out by Hollywood. I'm interested as well, because I can't imagine she'd have anything good to say about ABC.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
By the way, the "naked roommate" was comedian Judy Gold. She's a fabulous stand-up comic so try to check out one of her concert specials on Comedy Central or HBO. Also, Margaret's first 2 concert DVD's prove just how good she can be when given a free-form format in which to perform.

Guido

Stunt Coordinator
So how was this show really? I love Cho, and I remember catching bits and pieces, but not enough to say whether it was worth owning or not. Was it true Cho or was it so stale and diluted that I can get away without it?

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
It's been years and I know little of Cho's other material but from what I remember it was very funny and I was shocked and upset to see it cancelled. The only episode I have seen more than once and really remember was the Quentin Tarantino one which from memory alone is worth the purchase.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Well, I have adored Ms. Cho even before most people knew who she was. I was thrilled that she was given what was supposed to be a groundbreaking show. But what came out was anything but. Evidently there was a lot of network interference and protests from the Asian community about the crass humor and stereotypes. The show was really not as good as it should have been and paled in comparison to Margaret's frisky stand-up routine. It was yet another sad example of a great comedian being given a lackluster show. Anyone could have played her part. It was not tailored to her nearly enough.

For people who did not see it or are curious I'd advise renting the set but not buying it. Before the show's DVD release was announced I had found my old tapes of the episodes and was planning to convert them to DVD myself. After watching everything all over again I didn't keep a single scene from any of the episodes. I'd say that even the most die hard Cho fans approach this show with caution.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I remember watching it and loving it when I was younger, but that year I was in fifth grade... :)

Often stuff from then doesn't hold up so way when I'm older.

Still, I love cho, and I remember some hilarious episodes (the naked roomie and the one where there's a naked statue of margaret or something). Good times. :)

David, I also remember a lot of the stuff the show went through. Even the Korean community was upset because some of the cast was chinese and japanese and they were upset by this. My mom used to tell me every week how the show was so popular and unpopular at the same time.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I have never seen the show, but I am checking it out because I love Cho's live act and figure it'll be worth a blind buy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks