What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Nathan_H

Second Unit
I agree. The size of my calibrated OLED (which was calibrated by the same guy that calibrates the Value Electronics Shootout each year, one of the biggest such events in the industry) tends to obscure that detail unless I get up close on it.

EDIT: I understand Cameron must have got what he wanted from the process, and that no short cuts were taken, etc, so I am not asserting there was an error in action. And his preferences matter more than mine.

Last edited:

Nathan_H

Second Unit
And we may have different prejudices or preferences.

I lean toward the film preservation camp, warts and all, ideally seeing it like it could have looked in the camera/or first screening when it was created. I am sure that creates a sensitivity or set of goals that other people may not share.

Clearly Cameron was/is more interested in remastering than straight restoration. Sometimes we can look at these catalog releases and speculate that some nameless person was a little sloppy with the knobs and dials in the grading suite. But we know Cameron was deeply involved with approving these releases -- he said as much at the Abyss screening in LA earlier this year -- so it seems like we can be reasonably confident that the guy that wrote and directed this movie wants it to look this way, now.

--

And I'm not always against revisionism and using new technology to unlock (to the point of "magically recreating") and revise the past. I loved what Peter Jackson did with Get Back. And I still like the mono LP's on my shelf. There is room for both. (Which is my quiet way of hoping Cameron doesn't remove the prior masterings from the marketplace, leaving us only with this new one.)

Last edited:

Wes Candela

Visual Storytelling Enthusiast
Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Remember: remastering is different than remixing. Remixing goes back to the multitracks to bring individual instruments more forward or back into the mix and can allow a mixing engineer to eliminate or reduce time-era processing that dates a recording. Remastering can be 1) like a fresh capture of the final master recording that was completed at the time of release or, 2) can be EQd to and dynamically compressed to modern listening situations (like in a car or on headphones)

But what if what you’re seeing is not real detail that was captured? If it’s mostly artificially generated using an algorithm?

This is like if the remastering of an older music album used AI to add more treble to the high hats and filled in additional bass for the kick drum or bass guitar if both of those pieces had been mixed too quietly in the original final master based on the limited fidelity of the equipment (eg speakers) at the time.

I would not enjoy as much the AI-interpretation of the recorded performance over going back to the multitracks and remixing the album to actually bring forward in the mix the musician’s talent. If the multitracks are available, that would be the most faithful process.
Hey.
Oh, I know the difference between remastering and remixing
thanks.
hich is why mobile Fidelity sound labs remasters audio. The do not remix.

They work off of the original magnetic tape masters unless they state otherwise.

They use a process they invented to Capture what is on the master original recordings and release them on vinyl, CD, and super audio CD.

astonishing results,

remixing, which is a completely different animal, is not what I'm referring to.

(although it is a topic I also love discussing
I feel more music should be remixed.
After I heard what the doors did to their catalog on “the doors perception “ DVD AUDIO discs then onto Nirvana, Pearl Jam and The Beatles...

I feel proper remix and gives music, new life.

But no, I am not confusing the two.

Aliens artificial sharpening.
I feel that if the Director James Cameron, in this case, is releasing these movies in a digitally cleaned up version that he approves of its worth us watching.

After watching Aliens, I can completely understand how some people would be upset with what has been done.
I am not one of those people.

I find the digital 4K digital releases to be beautiful.
I find that they retain the detail and clean up the image at the same time using state of the art technology.
I am very aware though that FILM grain has been removed, but the image looks so beautiful to me. I can't wait for the physical disc.
is it artificially sharpened?
My feeling is that the technology being used to reduced the grain also is enhanced the detail.
so yes, I do believe there is artificial sharpening happening

The pores in Ripley‘s face as she watches the monitors of the team of Marines going into the complex, seeing every poor of her skin

Or the Sweat pouring off of Hicks head when they plan on getting on the dropship and nuking the site from orbit

but I thoroughly enjoyed it... except for the fact that it's not the special edition

however… That's just my opinion, and much respect goes out to everybody else's opinion on the matter.

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
What’s up all?
Question, has anybody seen the special edition in Dolby vision and Dolby Atmos digitally?

Have they updated the digital release to include the special edition in 4K and Dolby Vision Dolby Atmos for anybody… anywhere?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
What’s up all?
Question, has anybody seen the special edition in Dolby vision and Dolby Atmos digitally?

Have they updated the digital release to include the special edition in 4K and Dolby Vision Dolby Atmos for anybody… anywhere?
I think Disney took the separate Special Edition cut out of circulation since it is hard to find even if you purchased it previously - it will not show up in any of my digital libraries if I search by title, but does show up if I scroll thru my entire library. What is odd is that on Apple TV, when I scroll thru my library title by title and select Aliens: Special Edition, it plays in HD (the resolution I purchased it at on Vudu many years ago) with Dolby Atmos audio. Another user reported that somehow the HD copy they purchased on Vudu many years ago was upgraded to 4K HDR and Dolby Vision on Apple TV.

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
I think Disney took the separate Special Edition cut out of circulation since it is hard to find even if you purchased it previously - it will not show up in any of my digital libraries if I search by title, but does show up if I scroll thru my entire library. What is odd is that on Apple TV, when I scroll thru my library title by title and select Aliens: Special Edition, it plays in HD (the resolution I purchased it at on Vudu many years ago) with Dolby Atmos audio. Another user reported that somehow the HD copy they purchased on Vudu many years ago was upgraded to 4K HDR and Dolby Vision on Apple TV.
Hey, thanks Todd yeah
so I use the NVIDIA shield
That does not allow me to access the special edition. I have to use my Apple TV 4K box in order to do that and when I do.

It states the movie is in HD and I'm only getting 5.1 channels of audio so I guess I'm gonna need to wait until that disc comes out?

It's fine, except I just love the special edition so much
It's the definitive version of the movie

So much is lost in the theatrical cut.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Another user reported that somehow the HD copy they purchased on Vudu many years ago was upgraded to 4K HDR and Dolby Vision on Apple TV.
That was me but to be clear only the theatrical version updated to 4K. The SE is still in HD.

Last edited:

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
That was me but to be clear only the theatrical version updated to 4K. The SE is sull in HD.

thank you Tino
I just checked it out a bit. I mean it’s remastered. Looks better than it's looked for a while.

but if I was to be picky… I would say I wish they had done the special edition only

However, they gave us aliens in 4K, Dolby vision, Dolby, Atmos

however, they gave us aliens in 4K, Dolby vision, Dolby, Atmos

all I can say, is thank you

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
So much is lost in the theatrical cut.
The only thing that I think that absolutely should have been in the theatrical cut was Ripley's daughter. The rest of the special edition scenes are OK (the auto guns or finding Burke) or actually negatively impact the movie (showing Hadley's Hope and Newt's family is a waste of time and not seeing that stuff puts us on the same page as the marines when they arrive is much better). The scenes aren't bad and they're interesting to see on their own but Cameron and company made the right call to cut nearly all of them.

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
The only thing that I think that absolutely should have been in the theatrical cut was Ripley's daughter. The rest of the special edition scenes are OK (the auto guns or finding Burke) or actually negatively impact the movie (showing Hadley's Hope and Newt's family is a waste of time and not seeing that stuff puts us on the same page as the marines when they arrive is much better). The scenes aren't bad and they're interesting to see on their own but Cameron and company made the right call to cut nearly all of them.
Yeah, I hear you
when I think of the special cut, I think of Ripley‘s daughter.
I also think of her exchanging her first name with Hicks,
and during her hearing, they revoke her flying license a little more plainly
i’m not going to disagree that Hadley‘s hope is a bit of a joke and the auto gun sequence is not necessary, but adds a little bit more tension.

But it’s those extra lines that are taken out

I feel like the special edition is more fleshed out.
either way, aliens is just incredible and again I’m happy to have it in 4K finally

just waiting on that physical disc release

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
cf. The Abyss where the Extended Cut restores critical plot points, like the wedding band.
Agreed.
Cameron's director cuts are usually filled with moments you don't want to lose and moments you're glad were cut.
but if I had to choose, I'd prefer the full vision. .

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Agreed.
Cameron's director cuts are usually filled with moments you don't want to lose and moments you're glad were cut.
but if I had to choose, I'd prefer the full vision. .
I think the only extended cut of a James Cameron film I really don't care for it T2. Yeah, the mirror scene is pretty cool, but the additional footage adds nothing to the film whatsoever.

Nathan_H

Second Unit
I think the only extended cut of a James Cameron film I really don't care for it T2. Yeah, the mirror scene is pretty cool, but the additional footage adds nothing to the film whatsoever.
That was my impression at the time. I have a vague recollection that Cameron himself agrees with you on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TVonDVDCollector
Recent bookmarks