What's new

Aliens and Ghosts.. (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I've always used that thinking to explain why I don't necessarily believe in ghosts....I mean, if we become ghosts when we die, then we must have been ghosts (or energy) BEFORE we were born. So if that's true, then where were we before we were born? Where did this 'energy' (that we now retain) come from?

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

I asked that on Bad Astronomy once. The first response I got was something along the lines of "the pre-Big Bang state of the Universe, if any, is not observable, and thus irrelevant. Time and Space started with it, and so whatever was before is outside the scope of our reality", which was greatly disappointing. Sure, technically accurate, but man, what a killjoy.

I did later hear some interesting theories, though. Unfortunately it's unlikely we'll ever know for sure, at least within our lifetime.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Actually, it really did not start as "nothing". Assuming you are speaking of the "Big Bang", the theory states that the universe started as a "singularity", that being all matter/energy compacted to a point. Now brace yourself for this next one, for it may shock you . . . As to what was there before ? Scientists do not know (a statement which all scientists worthy of the name should be willing to make at any and all times).

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Freaking scientists. Scientists are responsible for all the wars in the world. Are you a scientist?

--
H

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

See, now you are talking about my summer on Cape Cod in 1984 and I promised never to speak of that again.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
A sense for his sarcasm? Man, I'm still cleaning up from what oozed out of his first post in this thread...;)

I was actually responding directly to John's post as I hadn't seen Brian's yet (because it usually takes me half an hour to compose a 4 line post and by then 8 others have more adequately answered what I was going to).

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Brian you crack me up: “Imagine the possibilities if such a thing were possible!”

I’m more interested in the percentile of hard to compute quantifiable data.

Does it exist even if it has no physically expressed outputs nor has value via any documented percent of impact over time?
Does an impact exist for the smallest action (the butterfly) which effects is so minuet and interconnected that it is unlikely that any conceivable computational capability will ever have enough power to quantify it?
Does it even matter? (if say - it computes in a 'chain' which creates WWIII but no ones ‘knows’ this)

Majority acceptance validates to an extent any principle scientific or otherwise.
Majoritive acceptance therefore causes it to exist.

In a sense things already constantly pop in and out of some sort of other- dimensional existence, they do ...and they don’t exist via result and impact.

I can’t begin to imagine the ‘things’ which would arguably have resided only in the brain, of scientists and mulled over by the likes of dreamers handy-down-on-the-farm, for the last thousands of years with no known expressed history or documentation, which (had we just known), in a very real sense ‘died’ with them at the time, yet resurrected ‘exist’ as widely accepted principle today.

What makes Leonardo a acknowledged genius as regards his ‘art’. The higher percentile of chemical reactions in total population, which his productive legacy evokes when viewed? It can’t simply be that the art and workbooks survive.

The romantic love quote doesn’t do it for me, when quantifying hormonal and chemical reactions of “Love” [brain activity] as regards procreation (sex) it is just too much shooting of fish in a barrel. I am fascinated by the process under which a human sacrifices his existence for his ‘enemy.’
What greater love hath man.

How does this apply to this thread? [Mary round the horn.]
Since humans are, literally speaking, composed of stardust and energy, what effects/impact and existential ‘being-ness’ the transfiguration of those parts have on some plane of existence IMO has yet to be scientifically quantified.

PS: don’ let the grass grow under your feet while discussing since according to one recent published researcher your Y chromosome has about 4-K on the clock; counting down. :laugh:

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
No, it's not. What silliness! In much the same as water has a memory (think homeopathy) because of what was once in it, since all of us have at some time bathed or gone swimming, our essence is imbued in the water.

Well some scientists have found the Y chromosome isn't vanishing:http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4225769

If it does, it'll make men more valuable and we'll be wanted for things other than fixin' things like sex.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Ahhh, The Butterfly Minuet. I believe that was Bach (or was it Brahms?).

As to the rest of your post, I call foul. In the ID thread you said you hadn't brushed up on your philosophy in a while; so either you were joking then, you are BS'ing now or you somehow predicted this thread and preempted us. Any way you slice it, it's unfair!!;) ;)

Mary M S

Screenwriter
That research is so outdated, - my draw is from recently published minty fresh research.

Wait! Via that argumentative basis,
2001, A Space Oddesy is outdated, and Battlefield Earth: A Saga of the Year 3000 would be an accurate predictive conceptualized entity!
[Runs away before Jack reads that sentence.]

Swallows and Amazons, which I read as pure fantasy. It seemed to me inconceivable, this extraordinary world of greenery and lakes, and made me look afresh at my own humdrum world of camels and palm trees.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Jeff you know I can't spell, Nor care (except sometimes I really get this crushing sensation of my own ignorance, which is highly unpalatable)
really you poor 'used' things. I think it is sex. All the things you fix, appear to ? malfuntion to one degree or another. :laugh:

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I find this quite true every time I try to "fix" a relationship. Best advice I ever heard was "Jeff, it ain't broken, it's dead!" :laugh:

Mary M S

Screenwriter
AwHHH, i'LL BE dead already BY THEN what do I care about my (x)grandaughter's entertainments!
I am a lucky lucky girl, to be born in an age of conspicuious consumption and renewable resources.

EDIT: speaking on the topic of the thread, is it true? NASA has really lost the original analog tapes for Apollo 11 (and the other Apollo's)? Seems the web, is currently posting its found/lost/found...dont' know.

and the only machine capable of playing it (could we not build another?) is about to end its service life?

boy oboy this will give the conspiracy advocates mileage for the coming 1000 years. Well....now
we'll just have to Do it Again then won't we?!! :laugh:

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I'm gonna go with Chu on this one. That something cannot be known or measured by others is not an indication that it does not -- or even may as well not -- exist. That is not to say, however, that love without action, though it may exist, has any value to anyone.

I must emphasize that to the extent the Scientific Method is applied, that which cannot be measured must be regarded as nonexistent.

Contradiction? Go figure...

Mary M S

Screenwriter

I can not touch you.
I could however cut & paste you, and place you in a folder to eternally theorize regarding the probability factor of your actual existence.
I would never be sure however that this document did not originate via an artificially fabricated method or more jarringly, be simply a manifestation and invention created out of my primitive need to converse with entities other than myself.

...so no...in a manner...you don’t. (exist) :laugh:

Science...I just can’t get enough of all the flashing lights and gizmos.
http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=0933889
it looks so pretty. (I love you guys :emoji_thumbsup: )

Hauls herself out of the forum with a shepherds staff. whereupon everone applauds and waits for Natilie Wood to appear upon stage to the sound of a grind.
(what is [wrong] with me today) :laugh: Bye guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks