What's new

Alien: Covenant (2017) (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, haven't read much of this thread yet. I will.

Had some ridiculous issues with DISH Network, billing, etc. Finally settled. They gave me a bunch of free PPV movie codes. Wanted to try one out with Alien Covenant. I've heard good and bad. Worth using up one of the codes for this? Previews always look good, but you never know what the final product is.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Thank goodness I was not sitting next to you in the theatre! My mother-in-law also laughs inappropriately in the movie theatre at dramatic movies, but she has early dementia.

Well, if I have dementia that certainly would not surprise many people I'm sure. I have always found the inappropriate funny so there has been a lot of that through the years. I think I am certainly "demented" as that has been pointed out to me on many occasions.

Thankfully for you and all other theater goers I did not go to the theater to see this as if I had I am sure some people would have found my laughing an issue. I watched this at a friend's house and they all seemed to enjoy my dementia, so no worries I guess. Of course, they could have been humoring me but it was quite fun after the film everybody doing their impressions of David saying funny stuff and people trying to work "I'll do the fingering." into conversation without getting slapped.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
My wife and I both gave a quick but audible chuckle at the finger line at our theater, and we are not ashamed. At the risk of sounding like Reggie, it was CLEARLY Ridley's intention to be a funny line.

I agree that if anybody feels at any point that they "sound like" me it may be time to stop drinking or up your medication...whichever solves the problem. In my case I tend to like to combine liquor with my medication and occasionally other people's medication when available. I do have a doctor that both prescribes and fills my prescriptions for me out of his 1980s Camero...well...he says he is a doctor and he takes my insurance anyway. The co-pay seems high but so am I after whatever it is he gives me so all is well. I always have to meet him nights in the parking lot of a local 7 Eleven. I do seem to laugh a lot more since I started seeing him but I wonder how it is affecting my vision because I could have sworn when I saw the president on TV he looked as if he was orange. I thought I may just need to adjust the color on my set but no...orange on the computer too.

Anyway, please avoid sounding like me if at all possible and watch me, I'll do the fingering.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

Had some ridiculous issues with DISH Network, billing, etc. Finally settled. They gave me a bunch of free PPV movie codes. Wanted to try one out with Alien Covenant. I've heard good and bad. Worth using up one of the codes for this? Previews always look good, but you never know what the final product is.

Well, if you think the movie is interesting wait until you read this thread and find out about the fingering and who is doing it.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

You'll find opinions on both sides of the aisle on this movie. I'm on the "Like it" side and I highly recommend it. If you haven't watched Prometheus, you should watch that first.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Yeah, Covenant is worth a viewing, but like Prometheus before it the film was a huge letdown for me. Both of these movies seem to be pretty polarizing. You'll just have to decide for yourself.

Last edited:

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Saw it tonight for a second time and it did not get better. So many things happen that it's impossible to sort out everything in your head. I would love it if it was possible to summarize what David is doing in the 2 movies in few lines.

Normally when I watch a movie for the second time, I can sort out the story but not with this one. Maybe it's as simple as David trying to kill humanity but he does so many different things at so many different times, that it's hard to follow. Why killing those big aliens, why going to their world...

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I finally watched this, on blu-ray. I have long been a fan of the Alien series, and looked forward to this, but the bad reviews and negative word of mouth had me put it off until now. Unfortunately, this one doesn't change my view that there hasn't been a good Alien film in over 30 years.
It’s a beautiful-looking film, with a handful of intriguing ideas. But ultimately, it fails in the story. (I wasn't aware, or I didn't remember, that it was co-written by John Logan, probably my least favorite writer in movies.) The script is bad, with characters that are barely drawn, and a plot that eventually descends into relentless sadism and nihilism. Ridley Scott has said the next movie takes place before this one, but after the previous one. That’s confusing enough for the average moviegoer, and pointless from a storytelling point of view. Please don’t make it.
I'd welcome an Alien 5 that was a sequel to Aliens, which is what Neil Blomkamp wanted to make, but Scott has shot that down. If Covenant is what he's determined to make, let the series die. We'll always have the first two films.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Ridley Scott has said the next movie takes place before this one, but after the previous one. That’s confusing enough for the average moviegoer, and pointless from a storytelling point of view.

Is that what he said he is doing? I thought each one of these "prequels" was leading up to the "backdoor" of the original Alien.

Personally, I thought Covenant was a far better film than Prometheus mainly because there seems to be no doubt what Covenant is...basically a fun and goofy tribute to B movie science fiction. The addition of comedy and camp plus the acceptance that this is a teen summer camp slasher film set in space right from the get-go and having been prepared for the idea that rather than going for the tone of Alien they were doing space comedy closer to John Carpenter's Dark Star instead, made the film much more fun and entertaining...at least for me.

In terms of script I thought Covenant was a giant leap forward over Prometheus. This may be because Scott had one guy come in and rewrite what the other guy was doing in Prometheus...so the film at times seemed to want to be one thing while wildly veering off into comedy, either intentionally or unintentionally, and having probably the most ridiculous group of characters the silver screen has ever seen.

Yes, in Covenant the characters, other than Fassbender's dueling swishy robots, are nothing more than cutouts there to be slaughtered in hopefully creative ways but at least the film never pretends they are anything but that. Whereas in Prometheus we get dialogue and actions from the characters that make them appear to be perhaps the dumbest group of people on Earth...which seems like the motivation for putting all those idiots on one spaceship and shooting them off into space.

It's as if the people of Earth said if we want to raise our collective IQ let's get rid of this group of moronic turds. It's hard to believe they could figure out how to operate a light switch never mind man a mission to investigate the origins of mankind. I think the obvious idea was if they shoot the crew of Prometheus into space they would at best die and at worst never be able to find their way back and to heighten the chances of them meeting their demise they sent a robot programmed to experiment on them and kill them just for good measure.

Well done people of Earth getting rid of them but wow, did that make for a horrendous film. So, I'll take Covenant over Prometheus any day and now that I understand that to Scott the Alien "prequels" are meant to be part comedy I can at least go into the films knowing I should laugh and there will always be at least one character doing the fingering.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
because there seems to be no doubt what Covenant is...basically a fun and goofy tribute to B movie science fiction.
I very much doubt this. Ahhh, I’ll just say I disagree totally.

Yes, in Covenant the characters, other than Fassbender's dueling swishy robots
Swishy? They have good diction, and there was a moment of gay behavior (if an android can have sexual behavior), but Swishy?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Is that what he said he is doing? I thought each one of these "prequels" was leading up to the "backdoor" of the original Alien.

Personally, I thought Covenant was a far better film than Prometheus mainly because there seems to be no doubt what Covenant is...basically a fun and goofy tribute to B movie science fiction. The addition of comedy and camp plus the acceptance that this is a teen summer camp slasher film set in space right from the get-go and having been prepared for the idea that rather than going for the tone of Alien they were doing space comedy closer to John Carpenter's Dark Star instead, made the film much more fun and entertaining...at least for me.

In terms of script I thought Covenant was a giant leap forward over Prometheus. This may be because Scott had one guy come in a rewrite what the other guy was doing in Prometheus...so the film at times seemed to want to be one thing while wildly veering off into comedy, either intentionally or unintentionally, and having probably the most ridiculous group of characters the silver screen has ever seen.

Yes, in Covenant the characters, other than Fassbender's dueling swishy robots, are nothing more than cutouts there to be slaughtered in hopefully creative ways but at least the film never pretends they are anything but that. Whereas in Prometheus we get dialogue and actions from the characters that make them appear to be perhaps the dumbest group of people on Earth...which seems like the motivation for putting all those idiots on one spaceship and shooting them off into space.

It's as if the people of Earth said if we want to raise our collective IQ let's get rid of this group of moronic turds. It's hard to believe they could figure out how to operate a light switch never mind man a mission to investigate the origins of mankind. I think the obvious idea was if they shoot the crew of Prometheus into space they would at best die and at worst never be able to find their way back and to heighten the chances of them meeting their demise they sent a robot programmed to experiment on them and kill them just for good measure.

Well done people of Earth getting rid of them but wow, did that make for a horrendous film. So, I'll take Covenant over Prometheus any day and now that I understand that to Scott the Alien "prequels" are meant to be part comedy I can at least go into the films knowing I should laugh and there will always be at least one character doing the fingering.
Can you provide a link where Scott says the prequels are meant to be part comedy?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Maybe YOU do Reggie. But you said Scott said it which obviously he didn’t. That was my point.

No, I said this exactly:

"...now that I understand that to Scott the Alien "prequels" are meant to be part comedy I can at least go into the films knowing I should laugh and there will always be at least one character doing the fingering."

I did not say he "said" anything I said after watching the films I understand them...which is to say yes, I think he is intentionally making them goofy and funny on purpose.

Look man, either you laugh or you don't...not everybody has the same sense of humor.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Don't you guys have a sense of humor?

Also don't I get any credit for at least enjoying Covenant? So, I don't like Prometheus...that makes me one for two doesn't it?

Also do you ever notice that I never say to people "You said..." whatever...but I have people say to me, particularly in relation to this film "You said..." when I never said any such thing quite a bit.

Just read what I said. I never say "Ridley said..." anything nor do I quote Ridley at all...so I never make any claims as to anything Ridley said. Yet, I still get told that I did post that Ridley said something.

Nope, didn't happen. I posted something I thought was funny, like I thought the films were funny...I am the only one that laughed I guess.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks