What's new

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon

Weekly RoundUp 8-15-2017
WRU-Banner-16-9-1024x661.jpg

Where to find the Best Deals on Movies & TV Shows on 4k/UHD, Blu-ray and DVD…
The Features

full

– The Long Hot Summer – 1958

full

– Duel In the Sun – 1946

full

– Alien: Covenant – 2017

Weekly RoundUp 8-15-2017

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Each week, I kinda go out of my way to procure a copy of Best Buy's Sunday flyer (on Saturday). My local paper doesn't include my zip code in their distribution of Best Buy flyers any more.

But, honestly, it's starting to look less and less useful in terms of new releases.

The times, they are a-changin' (again).

Thanks to you all for showing up each and every week. Youse all are de best.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I might pick up "Legends of Tomorrow" S2, depending on what the brick & mortar prices end up being. Otherwise, nothing.

Thanks as always, Mike!

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well, I've got The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly coming from my preorder. I'll probably pick up The Lincoln Lawyer UHD disk and maybe Alien: Covenant.

Duel in the Sun, Night Moves, and Legends of Tomorrow s2 will be mine at some point.

Thanks as always, Mike. Really appreciate it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks again for a comprehensive RoundUp, Mike, and thanks as always for including the links.

I know that the UHD of Alien: Covenant is coming and so is Criterion's Hopscotch, so those reviews should be up sometime next week. I'm currently working on the Blu-ray set of Murdoch Mysteries which likely won't be posted until Monday, and, of course, the Twilight Time titles are looming but haven't yet arrived.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know anything about this Universal release The Case for Christ?

I've read the various synopses for it but can't find much by way of critical reviews in the usual places.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Each week, I kinda go out of my way to procure a copy of Best Buy's Sunday flyer (on Saturday). My local paper doesn't include my zip code in their distribution of Best Buy flyers any more.

But, honestly, it's starting to look less and less useful in terms of new releases.

The times, they are a-changin' (again).

Thanks to you all for showing up each and every week. Youse all are de best.
Can't you get on BB's email list to get the Sunday supplement? Or are you just an old fogey, like me, who's gotta have that paper version? ;)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sure, I could, I guess. I just like getting the WRU posted up as early as possible.

My local newspaper puts the Sunday ads out a day early in the Saturday paper (on newsstands only). And...they only include the Best Buy flyer in newsstand editions in certain areas (I've really had to get this down to a science).

Some people used to get the flyer really early in the week and post it up on the internet...but that stopped happening quite a while ago.

If I wait until Sunday, I could pretty much just expect everybody to bookmark the link to BB's weekly ad and go there themselves and sort things out.

As it is, when I took over the RoundUp (13 years ago!), I included prices for Circuit City, Costco and Sam's Club. The number of retailers has been dwindling. I almost wonder if it's not enough to list the major new releases each week with the Amazon prices--considering that's how most of the purchasing is now done.

As I wrote earlier, the times they are a-changing. And Best Buy is making the inclusion of their Sunday flyers less relevant by excluding firm prices for their new releases. Maybe they are doing that because of regional pricing. I'm not sure. But, whatever the reason, It might just be easier for everyone to click on a Best Buy link each week to get their own regional BB pricing.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
You know, Mike...this kind of crap makes me less inclined to patronize Best Buy as a general rule. I remember back a few months ago when there was a list of movies "starting at $14.99" including Arrival, so you, like any reasonable person would, assumed that this meant that Arrival was $14.99 and listed it as such in the Roundup And then it ended up being $19.99 when I got to the store...but another movie listed next to it was $14.99, so the grouping "started" at $14.99.

My feeling is that if Best Buy can't be bothered to make their prices clear and specific, then they don't want to have my money. This doesn't mean I won't go there if ever there was a particular item I wanted to get from them, but that, in general, it's easier for me not to deal with them.

If Best Buy is causing you headaches putting together the Roundup, then perhaps they don't deserve their placement in it. If they don't want to make clear what their price is, they certainly don't deserve you trying to do it for them.

So, if you want to save yourself the headache and stop including BB prices in the Roundup, I would not mind that at all. You volunteer to do this for us as a wonderful service to the membership of this board, but there's no reason it should be difficult for you to do it.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Nothing is striking my fancy for another week. Meanwhile, I'm trying to downsize the collection a little at a time in anticipation of our move to California in the next 18 months. If I can get below 750 titles, I will consider that a success. I think 500 is pushing it...

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
You know, Mike...this kind of crap makes me less inclined to patronize Best Buy as a general rule. I remember back a few months ago when there was a list of movies "starting at $14.99" including Arrival, so you, like any reasonable person would, assumed that this meant that Arrival was $14.99 and listed it as such in the Roundup And then it ended up being $19.99 when I got to the store...but another movie listed next to it was $14.99, so the grouping "started" at $14.99.

My feeling is that if Best Buy can't be bothered to make their prices clear and specific, then they don't want to have my money. This doesn't mean I won't go there if ever there was a particular item I wanted to get from them, but that, in general, it's easier for me not to deal with them.

If Best Buy is causing you headaches putting together the Roundup, then perhaps they don't deserve their placement in it. If they don't want to make clear what their price is, they certainly don't deserve you trying to do it for them.

So, if you want to save yourself the headache and stop including BB prices in the Roundup, I would not mind that at all. You volunteer to do this for us as a wonderful service to the membership of this board, but there's no reason it should be difficult for you to do it.

If you're not sure of the price at the BB B&M you can find one of the "kiosks" with is basically a computer with a browser set set to the BB website - Ironically, you may have to reset it to your local store ... but "Starting at ..." isn't exclusive to BB ...

Target and Wal*Mart (as well as others) will price-match to Best Buy and in some cases they will use the online BB flyer to verify ... (even if you have a paper copy of the AD) so even if you don't "shop" at BB you can save $ which I assume is why we like the Roundup so much (plus all of the kewl xtras Mike puts in for us) :rock:

I was told by a former BB manager that I used to work with that BB (used) to have "Best Practices" --a modified version of the "customer is (almost) always right." And that managers were expected to make sure that they were followed by all associates. Because it is more expensive to get a new customer than to retain an existing one ... from what I understand this may longer be the case :(

There used to be a free Spanish language weekly newspaper that came out where I live on Wednesday ( was dated for Thursday -in Spanish). That paper had the "Sunday" Target & Best Buy ads in English (as well as others) ... They changed their publication day and the ads became the previous week's ads.

I've noticed the few times I've gone a B&M BB that they sometimes don't have the paper ads at the store anymore.

Once again, thanks for the work you do on the Round up Mike - us GIZE & GOYLs really 'preciate it :drum:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Sure, I could, I guess. I just like getting the WRU posted up as early as possible.

My local newspaper puts the Sunday ads out a day early in the Saturday paper (on newsstands only). And...they only include the Best Buy flyer in newsstand editions in certain areas (I've really had to get this down to a science).

Some people used to get the flyer really early in the week and post it up on the internet...but that stopped happening quite a while ago.

If I wait until Sunday, I could pretty much just expect everybody to bookmark the link to BB's weekly ad and go there themselves and sort things out.

As it is, when I took over the RoundUp (13 years ago!), I included prices for Circuit City, Costco and Sam's Club. The number of retailers has been dwindling. I almost wonder if it's not enough to list the major new releases each week with the Amazon prices--considering that's how most of the purchasing is now done.

As I wrote earlier, the times they are a-changing. And Best Buy is making the inclusion of their Sunday flyers less relevant by excluding firm prices for their new releases. Maybe they are doing that because of regional pricing. I'm not sure. But, whatever the reason, It might just be easier for everyone to click on a Best Buy link each week to get their own regional BB pricing.
I would not mourn the dropping of BB from the Roundup. When I bought the steel book of Skull Island, it was the first thing I had bought from BB in at least a couple of years.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Are there still Walmarts that price match? My store posted signs at all registers back in the spring that they would no longer offer price matching after mid-June.

I agree that if BB is making it ridiculous to uncover their promotions, they don't deserve to be included in the WRU.

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Are there still Walmarts that price match? My store posted signs at all registers back in the spring that they would no longer offer price matching after mid-June.

I agree that if BB is making it ridiculous to uncover their promotions, they don't deserve to be included in the WRU.

Walmarts are heading to not PM in stores at least. Since Sping/early summer 2016 there seems to be a rolling increase of stores/regions not allowing PM. My stores put up those signs in August 2016 and every few months it seems another group of posters mentions another city/state. I think it is eventually going to be nationwide, but I'm not sure if it's just regions they think don't need to do it.

I would vote against discontinuing BBY. My BBY/Amazon ratio is about 5/1 this year and significantly more in 2015/2016. Due to various policies that have made it less price competitive, significantly worse CS, increasingly poor packing of items, and the addition of significant reports of them strong arming online forums or just abandoning the forums that helped build them soured me on them in general. Instead of being the go-to website, they are now the fall-back/last resort when I can't get it somewhere else (or when they're throwing free money around).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
If you're not sure of the price at the BB B&M you can find one of the "kiosks" with is basically a computer with a browser set set to the BB website

Yes, but why should I have to bother? If BB wants my business, they should clearly mark their prices in the flyer so I know what they are when I go in the store. IMO.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
“Kid Galahad” for me this week!

As long as the Disney/Amazon feud persists, we need to have Best Buy listed. Has anybody tried to preorder “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” from Amazon??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks