What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

ALIAS season 4 ongoing thread (merged) (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Brian.L

Supporting Actor
As ridiculous as the Resident Evil: Rambaldi Apocalypse finale was, I have to commend the writers/producers of Alias for their love of Dylan. Calling the episode "Before the Flood" *and* playing "Lay Lady Lay" during the last sequence? Kudos.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Hmmm... Vaughn is too young to be Bill Vaughn...or D.B. Cooper for that matter, so that blows two theories right there. ;)

One thing they never explained away (or maybe I missed) in their fits of exposition this season was the conversation between Vaughn and Elena about Vaughn's father bringing Nadia to the orphanage. This struck me as odd because:

1) I don't remember them explicitly saying that Elena was aligned with Arvin Cloane, but I suppose it's possible given their Rambaldi works (and again, maybe I just missed it).

2) Vaughn seemed very unsuspicious when Elena showed up and started living with his girlfriend and her sister considering they had met face to face before and she had verified first hand information that was proved to be part of Cloane's hoax about Bill Vaughn. In the timeline of the series, I was pretty sure that Irina killed Bill Vaughn before giving birth to Nadia.

Regards,

NeilO

Senior HTF Member

This is what really doesn't make sense and I hope either they have a good explanation or the first thing we see in the new season is Vaughn waking up from the bad dream that wasthe final scene of this seaon.

Neil

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

Elena made McCullough create the Sloane Clone to keep APO off balance. She created the Covenant... She was the show's Super Big Bad.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Makes sense (by Alias-verse standards, at least. :)). There still seems to be something fishy as outlined by my second point, though. Didn't Elena tell Vaughn face to face that Bill Vaughn delivered Nadia to the orphanage?

Regards,

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I saw the season finale over the weekend. What the???
Where did they come up with that lame plot twist??
Otherwise I enjoyed the finale. Great how everyone teamed up to get the big bad. A lot like Mission Impossible of late.

Jim DiJoseph

Second Unit

No, it hasn't - not after the twist I mentioned. Namely, that Vaughn is not who he said he was. People had previously mentioned that writing the pregnancy into the next season was a possibility, but that's not what I was referring to. This new twist might be just the catalyst they need to include Garner's pregnancy in a story arc for the next season.

Now, I wonder whether the finale was written before or after learning of Garner's condition. Does anyone know when they wrote/filmed the last scene versus when Garner might have been able to announce her pregnancy to her producers?

NeilO

Senior HTF Member

Since she was manipulating the whole thing as she was ultimately the Sloane/clone's boss, we can't trust anything she said.

It is a good point, though, that Vaughn wasn't suspicious about her information after he knew that the news about his father was a hoax. Until told otherwise, I think the writers must have made a mistake there by not having him suspicious.

Neil

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Well I didn't think the ending was a surprise at all, as soon as you saw them happily driving down a country road talking about marriage, you knew there was going to be a wreck. And the first thing I thought was "they ripped that off from the movie Forgotten", except in that movie I did not see it coming (rest of the movie was so-so at best but that was a very well executed scene).

As for Vaughn's idendity, I think that he has far too much backstory/history at this point for them to make this work, I just don't have any faith in the lazy-ass writers that they can come up with something that isn't full of gaping holes and inconsistencies.

The rest of the episode was laughably bad, I can't believe they stooped to a lame Resident Evil rippoff.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Such an exciting and shocking season ending!

This season gave me some great moments, including the return of Irina, Vaughn proposing to Syd, Jack's always-interesting character progressions, Sydney playing her mother in a recreation of Jack's marriage, and confirmation of my belief that Sloane had truly reformed. (That was an underutilized plot device: The emotional tension of a reformed Sloane doubted by everyone else could have been delicious. Particularly if Syd and Jack realized that he was reformed just as Sloane, beaten down by their doubts, returned to his evil ways.)

The downside this year was a weaker season on the whole. The beginning concerned me, where last year's season finale was essentially discarded and a new story crudely pressed into service. The first half of the season was lackluster, but the excitement returned. But, this was tempered by a cheap plot device of reinterpreting past stories in light of a new villain, in order to quickly move the Elena story forward. But it felt forced, and left me with an emotionally unsatisfying bad guy and an end-of-the-world scenario less interesting than the fall of SD6 in S1.

Finally, the finale. It was exciting, but generally Alias' plot twists are rooted in existing story. This one, Vaughn not being Vaughn, felt totally random and threatens to (poorly) apply a reinterpretation of past episodes in order to make new stories work.

So, next year: Since its likely the last season, I hope J.J. Abrams gives Alias due attention and crafts a masterpiece of intrigue, spycraft, excitement, and stunning resolution!

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit
From eonline.com:

I smell a cancellation.

If she didn't tell the producers about her pregnancy to make sure they'll renew the show (which they might not have done if they had known about it) it might kill the show before her actual pregnancy has a chance to kill the show next season.

If she is due in November (at least that's what I've read) then they can't start filming before January without either adressing or hiding the pregnancy.

So there are four chioces:

1. Start filming in January and show the season in the summer or in the 2006/2007 season.

2. Start filming in July, try to hide the pregnancy and turn the show into a complete joke.

3. Start filming in July, adress the pregnancy and have Sydney lie down or sit around for half a season.

4. Cancel it now.

I vote 1 or 4.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
They're not gonna cancel Alias when it just had one of its highest rated years. Yes, I know it's because of its lead-in but the ratings (and not the reason) are all that matters.

Look on the bright side, everyone will have more to complain about when they hide her pregnancy.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I only watched the first few episodes of season 4...but kept forgetting to set the recorder. So, I'm awaiting the dvd release. Any news? I think we got season 3 in September of last year?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Season 5, episode 1: Sydney wakes up, and finds herself 6 months pregnant, but Vaughn is nowhere to be found. She has no idea what happened in the past 6-8 months, but does remember the impact of the horrific car crash as her last memory before waking up...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks