What's new

Alfred ("Freddy") H. Heineken (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
FreddyHeineken.jpg

Yesterday evening, January 3rd, Alfred H. Heineken, age 78, died.
You may never have heard of him personally, but you do know the name of this great Dutchman.
His grandfather founded the now famous Heineken Brewery in Amsterdam and made it one of the largest in Holland.
But it was his grandson Alfred (better known as "Freddy") who made it much more: worldwide and famous. It was he who decided to enter the US market and it's almost impossible for any of you to never have heard of or have seen the green tins and/or bottles of this beer. And most probably you have at least tasted it once.
His specialty was advertising: no ad left the factory without him having it approved (and it is said that he actually stopped quite a lot). He started to work in the factory in the 40s, when his father was still chairman, and one of his first decisions was to slightly change the name-logo: he had the e's rotated backwards, so they appeared to be sort of laughing.
Later, the advertising series of Heineken were considered among the best in the country. In the UK they had the famous "Heineken reaches the parts other beers can't reach", and in Holland there was a very prolonged series, full page, at the back of the newspapers, generally with a picture and a few words or 1 sentence without the name of the brand (just the logo at the bottom, or a glass of Heineken) - and always humorous.
But his strength was even more his vision as well as his ways to personally convince people. Just before he entered the company, he found out that his father no longer owned at least half of the shares. He hired a Rolls Royce and went to a bank: "I'm Alfred Heineken and I have a need for a ƒ 400.000 loan". He got it - and bought enough shares to regain the majority. He never allowed it to be given away since!
He was a very social type of man, without any trace of pompousness. He was friends with the royal family and one of the richest man in the world. But he loved to go to one of the pubs (tried not be recognised, which generally failed, I'm afraid) and taste some of the companies product in a good atmosphere.
He was still effectively in control of the company until his dead (controlling the 50.05% of the shares the family owned since 1944), and will be succeeded by his only daughter.
Alfred Heineken was a kind, humorous and successful citizen of the world. Next time when you open one of his excellent beers: just think of him for a moment.
Cees

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Cees,

A couple of interesting facts about Alfred Heineken...he created the star logo that Heineken is known by. Also, this company was a world giant, really adding to a lot of cachet to Netherland's identity. I believe Heineken is currently the 3rd largest brewery in the world, behind Anheiser Busch and Interbrew.

Reading your bio on Alfred, it's quite evident this was a man with a vision. And never let go. Always sad to see the passing of a man like this.

...and a damn good beer too. My dad got me hooked on it.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I always wondered/wished that at one time my last name was a little longer before my grandparents emmigrated to Canada

Thanks for the great beer.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Michael,

Perhaps you're realated to Piet Hein, the great Dutch Admiral who once captured the Spanish Silver Fleet (..Piet Hein, zijn naam is klein: zijn daden benne groot... = "Piet Hein, his name is short: his achievements are big..."). Ask your grandparents, if they're still around, about this famous Dutch song.

Peter,

And never let go.
You bet!

One evening in 1983, after a board meeting, he was bumped on the head and he and his driver, who was waiting for him, were abducted at gun-point and held hostage, tied to a bed (for ransom, of course) for three weeks.

They paid (sick joke in those times: "Did you hear what they asked? 35 million guilders for Heineken and 3 for his chauffeur!" "What, 3 million for a chauffeur?" "No, 3 guilders."), and the two were released. Mr. Heineken offered his trusted driver and his wife to be a guest in his home for some months, provided he did not speak to the press, as mr. Heineken refused to do himself (the chauffeur later told this story: "I was kept in a room all the time and very afraid. I didn't know what was to become of me. Then one day, they were a bit careless and when they opened my door, I could see through another door that was open at the same time - and I saw Sir! My anxiety was much less ever since.").

The chauffeur (everyone in Holland knows his name, but I considered it bad taste to put it in this story) remained with the company until he retired.

Mr. Heineken formed a security squad inside the company, who also chased the crooks all over the world. They were finally arrested (except one of them, who immediately left for the South Americas and has never been heard of since), brought to court and convicted. 75% of the ransom money was located and returned.

Some years after they served their time and came free, one of the abducters (who has recently been shot and severely wounded in front of his house, btw), bought a small pub-chain (probably including whore-houses) in the centre of Amsterdam. As soon as mr. Heineken became aware of that, the company stopped all supplies of beer to that very chain - for good.

A formidable man indeed.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks