What's new

Alexander? (1 Viewer)

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
I like some of these moves. Overall, I enjoyed Alexander, but, being a video editor, I was just blown away with some of the horrible editing choices made. I was also not a fan of the soundtrack.

I can't wait to check this DVD out though.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
That young adult intercutting idea sounds great. Come to think of it, that's what I remember reading as the original concept for the film back in preproduction. Very interested to hear Stone's commentary.

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
maybe someone has better eyes or monitor than me but does that say 2 or 3 disc widescreen special edition on the davisdvd article?

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Well I hope the "Final Cut" edition will have the extras from the "Theatrical" as well. I would hate to miss that Vangelis featurette.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Johnny G, I'm pretty sure that DavisDVD picture says "2 DISC WIDESCREEN SPECIAL EDITION". Of course, it sounds like this might change, since the Warner website isn't calling it a "director's cut", anymore -- it's a "final cut" guys ;)

I guess this is one of those "we'll know it when we see it" occasions.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Mike, I look forward to hearing your review of the R3 set. I hope we get all of those extras on the US version!

Jace_A

Second Unit
I have the R3 2-disc set. It is the theatrical cut (it runs a little under 175 minutes, although there is no time display on this DVD) and has the single worst disc change point I've ever seen (and I had over 400 laserdiscs). It happens not only in the middle of a scene; it actually happens in the middle of Alexander actually speaking (or, as is the case throughout this lumbering bore of a movie, shouting). The picture looks good on my 72" projection screen, although the sound is somewhat muted (I listened to the DTS track; the few times I turned to the DD track, it was even softer).

Unless you're a real fan of this film, I'd wait for the R1 and a hopefully improved Director's Cut. I missed it at the cinema, and got this fairly cheap, but I'd doubt I'd pay to see it again, in any form.

Real Name
Anthony
I have the R3 disc too. I haven't watched the movie itself yet so I can't comment on the disc change (though I saw ALEXANDER in the cinema).

Transfer seems pretty good to me - very sharp with no visible e.e (on first look anyway). Colours seem a little washed-out at times and a bit too rich at others but this is most likely intentional. R1 transfers usually have the edge on R3 transfers but this one is certainly very good.
The big advantage here is the DTS soundtrack which is rich, full and thunderous - the best of the audio tracks ( the others being DD5.1 and DD2.0). This track is unlikely to be on the Warners release.

As noted, the film continues on Disc 2. Extra features here are a promo doc, an extensive interview gallery (offcuts from the promo by the look of them ) and some B-Roll footage, lasting about twenty minutes (no timings available)- a fairly random collection of Behind The Scenes stuff, presented plainly.

Disc 3 is devoted to FIGHT AGAINST TIME, ostensibly a near-feature length doc on the making of the film. This is NOT, however, your usual stage-by-stage production doc. It's been made by Oliver Stone's son and is a more personal piece. It's all filmed on-set but it's much more about their relationship and about Stone himself. Those looking for a more conventional doc may be disappointed but it's an interesting (if not excellent) addition for Stone-fans.

The set is presented as a gatefold digi-pack, with a pocket that contains four movie-poster repro-postcards in a greaseproof paper envelope (as for MGM's THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY S.E) and a numbered certificate -supposedly leather- that's meant to look "ancient" but is, frankly, quite ugly. All this is contained within a very solid box-sleeve. The whole package is nicely designed and completely English-friendly, but it's not particularly lavish in comparison to other R3 limited-edition sets.

Given that the upcoming R1 release will include the FIGHT AGAINST TIME doc and a Stone commentary (not included here), this release only has the DTS track and its early availability to recommend it. I'm happy enough as I'll be picking up the Director's Cut later in the year and this will hopefully be a good supplement to that.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"and has the single worst disc change point I've ever seen"

Even worse than the Blade Runner Dir Cut LD? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks