What's new

Alexander? (1 Viewer)

Martin S

Stunt Coordinator
Wasn't there some rumour that Stone's ALEXANDER was appearing at the end of March?

Runar_R

Second Unit
Well, I'm guessing R1 will be getting more or less what R2 gets. Which is:

- Commentary by Oliver Stone, Angelina Jolie and Colin Farrell
- Script
- Storyboard
- Trailers
- Behind the Scenes featurette
- On-set interviews
- 4 new documentaries
- Boot Camp featurette
- A journey back in Time featurette
- Music and Sound featurette
- Looking into the Past featurette
- Alexander the Game preview
- Recreating the Great Battles featurette

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Columbia House has it listed as available 4/5 at 175 minutes so I guess its the theatrical cut.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
What about the reported trimming of the film for DVD? Remember all those quotes from Oliver Stone right after Alexander was released theatrically saying that he was going to cut the movie significantly to make it more palateable? Maybe the intervening time calmed him down.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Here's the original story CLAIMING that Stone was going to edit the homosexual content of the movie for DVD.

-----------------------------------------------------------
"January 6, 2005 -- OLIVER Stone is disappointed in the response to his "Alexander the Great," and plans to alter the movie for its release on DVD. "There's a raging fundamentalism in morality in the U.S.," Stone fumed at the movie's London premiere this week. "From day one, audiences didn't show up. They didn't even read the reviews in the South because the media was using the words, 'Alex the gay.' " Earlier, Stone griped to the London Telegraph, "The gays lambasted me for not making Alexander openly homosexual, and, in the Bible Belt pastors were up in the pulpit saying that to watch this film was to be tempted by Satan." Stone said he'd change the offending scenes for the DVD: "The bond [between men] can be suggested in different ways." "
----------------------------------------------------------

Personally, I do not trust a story that can't even get the name of the movie correct. The movie is called 'Alexander' and the story calls it 'Alexander The Great'. Maybe that's a minor quibble but how good can their info be if they don't even get the title right?

Note that there's no quote from Stone saying that he was going to change the movie. The article says that he said that. The only direct quotes from Stone talk about why people didn't see the movie (which you can agree or disagree with).

And he said was "The bond [between men] can be suggested in different ways." While it may, it doesn't have to pertain to changing the movie. But when you put it together with a claim that the movie is going to be edited, it takes on a whole different meaning. Probably what Stone was talking about was an extended version/director's cut/special edition, etc. for home video which was twisted into that he was going to take the 'gay stuff' out.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
If it's due next month, shouldn't we have seen a press release by now? Awfully late for that to happen...

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I'm hoping that eventually we'll get an alternate cut of Alexander because even Stone acknowledged that the theatrical cut is flawed. Somehow I was able to overlook the flaws and still enjoy the movie - I'm just crazy about Oliver Stone it seems. :D

I look forward to getting the DVD when it comes out!

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Well seems no theatrical cut, unless the Director's Cut also has the theatrical version via seamless branching.

DavisDVD posted this image:

Melson

Agent
Very intriguing, all those different specifications on the Regional Spy page of Davisdvd. Looks like DVD Beaver is going to have a hard time comparing all these versions :)

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
The region 1 dvd will be a director's cut. It will be shorter than the theatrical cut, which will also be available on R1; it is unclear if these two cuts will be included in the same set. It is also unclear if this is a launch title. In any case, the new cut is drastically different, particularly in terms of structure; much the Hopkins narration stuff is out, the King Philip assassination scene is back in its linear spot, and some of the childhood stuff is gone. The first battle will occur earlier, so that the two battles provide bookends for the film. He also threw in, among other things, a scene involving animal sacrifice in preparation for battle. (this is all from the latest version of Cineaste magazine, the one with Leo Dicaprio on the front, in the article "Oliver Stone defends Alexander." Great article btw) I'm personally really excited about this, all the stuff about the movie that bugged me could be solved through editing. It always seems Oliver's just not quite done with his movies by theatrical release date. I trust he'll throw another plate of cinematic brilliance our way shortly.

Regards,
Nathan

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
If the director's cut does insert the assassination of Philip into its chronological position, it will make the movie a lot better for me. It was probably an experimental move on Stone's part that just didn't work. Some judicious editing should really help this film.

Jack _Webster

Stunt Coordinator

Actually, this is incorrect. According to Stone's interview at Berkeley, and some earlier screenings of the director's cut, this is more how it will go:

- After the scene in the cave, with child Alexander and his father, it will cut straight to the battle of Gaugamela (thereby ensuring that the first time we see Colin Farrell, he's not a wuss).

- Throughout the film, the scenes of Alexander's young adult years will be spread throughout the film, paralleling the events going on in his own life with the events leading up to his father's death.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks