What's new

Aladdin (2019) (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I have read that the the 3D is marvelous. So I just broke my own rule about these Disney live action remakes and ordered a copy.

:popcorn:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I have read that the the 3D is marvelous. So I just broke my own rule about these Disney live action remakes and ordered a copy.

:popcorn:
Based on the first thirty minutes I saw I thought the 3D was underwhelming and mediocre.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just finished it.

In the end I thought it was Witless. Charmless. Lazy. Dull. Miscast.

Terrible. I think I hated it more than @Jake Lipson

I was very disappointed as I really wanted to enjoy it.

The only scene I really liked was the new song Speechless. That’s the only time the film came alive for me.

Glad others enjoyed it. I’m envious. ;)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The only scene I really liked was the new song Speechless. That’s the only time the film came alive for me.

Speechless doesn't work for me because it literally stops the movie just to have a song. It makes no sense to me to have a song that Jasmine sings in her head about the importance of not being silenced when, as far as the other characters in the scene are concerned, she's being silent. If they were going to put a song there, it needed to be during her dialogue scene to the guard that follows where the song actually is, so that it's actionable and moves the story along. As-is, they basically just stopped the story in order to insert a music video.

I was very disappointed as I really wanted to enjoy it.

Me too. I think my initial post when I came out of it was being generous, and I've grown more annoyed with it since. However, I would advise just going back and watching the original again. It's amazing how little the live-action remake ends up mattering next to the original. And the new Signature Collection Blu-ray has one of the best new bonus features Disney has produced in a long time. So that's a win-win and you'll forget about the new one quickly.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Wow! Tough crowd!

It does have a 94% approval rating from audiences on Rotten Tomatoes, 7.1/10 from audiences on IMDb and has made over a billion dollars worldwide. I understand the criticism, but someone is clearly enjoying this movie. Aladdin didn't make all that money in one weekend before word of mouth hit.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It does have a 94% approval rating from audiences on Rotten Tomatoes, 7.1/10 from audiences on IMDb and has made over a billion dollars worldwide. I understand the criticism, but someone is clearly enjoying this movie. Aladdin didn't make all that money in one weekend before word of mouth hit.
None of which has been disputed. ;)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I didn't say it was. My only point in that was to confirm what Robert said about this being a tough crowd. That's it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
And I don’t think it’s a tough crowd in here really. Most of you guys liked it. The few of us in that vocal minority that didn’t, really disliked it which seems “tough” I think.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Man, no one in this film was cast for their singing voice, that's for sure. They really should have dubbed all the musical numbers. Each one was an assault on the eardrums. Yikes.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The work on the first one was 80% done for them. The script, situations and songs were nominally revised to rip off a better movie that everyone liked, and they still made a steaming pile of hot garbage. Now, they don't have those carryover elements, so this just got a lot harder.

If this actually gets off the ground, and I hope it doesn't, I will not be seeing it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Return Of Jafar!

:laugh:

Though it is in no way, shape or form on equal footing to the original and definitely not a great movie, I actually have a bit of a soft spot for The Return of Jafar. The characterizations in it are on-point and consistent with how they behave in the original, and I love that they gave Iago a redemption arc. The unfortunate thing is that the budget for it was so low that the animators clearly didn't have enough resources to work with to make it look good, which resulted in the look of it being shoddy. But in terms of the story, both it and Aladdin and the King of Thieves avoided feeling like a retread of the previous film and demonstrated more creativity than the other direct-to-video sequels to come which just reversed the plot of the original (like The Little Mermaid II and Lady and the Tramp II.)

That being said, the Variety article that broke the story about this sequel implicitly says that it will not be based on ideas from either of the direct-to-video animated sequels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks