What's new

Advice to beginner in home theater!!! How about JBL NSP1 + Onkyo TXDS494? (1 Viewer)

Tony Yang

Auditioning
I am just a new bie to home theater and this forum. All I need at the current stage is a very basic entry level home theater system. I did a little bit research on it and find this setting, JBL NSP1 + Onkyo TXDS494. Is this an OK setting? I know Onkyo TXDS494 only has 55 watts/channel. Is this enough to drive the speaker system?

I am also looking at the Polk RM6000 and Yamaha HTR 5440. If anybody has the similar setting or has any suggestion, please drop me a line. Thanks in advance.

Tim_Speicher

Stunt Coordinator
Other than the 75 vs the 55, how would the 595 compare to the 494? I've seen a few places that I could possibly get a 494 for about $115 + shipping. That's a bit cheaper than the 595, but if it's not at solid as a receiver, I will just keep saving.

-Tim

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Well, I cant talk about the speakers but the onkyo falls short in many ways. Think a budget level kenwood would be a better choice. I bought a denon avr1602 receiver, this was also my ticket into HT. For the $350 I paid (at an authorized dealer) it was well worth the money. I forget how many watts/channel mine actually has, but while watching movies I cant even reach the 00 db level mark.
EDIT: Well i checked , rated at 70 x 5 still more than I'll ever need
For more info on this check http://crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-mLK...1602&display=L
If you can find a auth dealer locally , the will also have it 399, just offer them 350(or lower) im sure they will take it. (and the front inputs are covered, just not pictured with the cover on)

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
The NSP-1 is a great package and would sound great with the 494. However I would get out and audition the Kenwood VR-507, and some others, If you really want Onkyo I would spend the extra for the 595.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
You might also want to look at the Denon 1602 and 1802. Dont go buy watt numbers as one 55 watt receiver can be louder and cleaner than another 100 watt receiver.

Tony Yang

Auditioning
Thanks Guys for your inputs. I am now more interested in Denon 1602 after I have read through this forum and learned that Onkyo 494 does not have the speaker delay settings. I realize that this forum is a very valuable resource and I will keep on reading it.

Anybody knows where I can get Denon 1602 with

David D. C.

Stunt Coordinator
specs on the denon 1602 i have bought the denon 2802 and for a fewmore c note's (100 dollar bill) it was well worth the money

Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS A/V Receiver

• Dolby Pro Logic II, with Cinema and Music Modes

• Dolby Digital and DTS decoding

• 24 bit DSP processor

• 5 equal power amplifier channels

• 70 watts per channel into 8 ohms,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks