What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Advice on funny movies for boys (1 Viewer)

mark alan

Supporting Actor
my son is having a sleepover for his 9th birthday, and part of is going to be a movie marathon. I am looking for advice on movies to select for them. I am looking for older movies, since of course the kids will have seen every one of the newer one. I am looking for funny, because the other selection was scary, and 9 is tough for scary without childish or too scary.

I have already picked home alone, and probably the goonies. Any other recommendations?

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Adventures in Babysitting or Back to the Future? I remember enjoying both those movies back when I was 9. It's hard to suggest something better than The Goonies.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Back to the Future and The Goonies are great suggestions. My brother and I also really liked Ghostbusters when we were that age.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Monster Squad. They'll love it! Spooky, but not overly so.

The Explorers. Darn good kid's sci-fi with some wackiness towards the end. Really, this is a can't miss kid's film.

Mom & Dad Save the World.
Saw this with my nephew when it came out. He was about 9 and laughed like a hyena every time Lovitz did anything! We were just about the only ones in the cinema but I truly feel it's highly underrated among goofy comedies. I'll bet it would be the hit of the sleepover!!! And it's about 5 bucks or so.

I know this is new, but have they seen Zathura? It was Jumanji 2. Excellent stuff!

EVery one of these can be enjoyed by adults too. That's the cool thing about em. I don't have kids but I own each one of those!

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Monster Squad and The Explorers are also great suggestions, James. I can't believe I forgot Ghostbusters!

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Some already mentioned; Back to the Future, The Goonies, Ghostbusters. I would also suggest Pee-wee's Big Adventure, Gremlins and Beetlejuice.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Adventures in Babysitting includes the F-word, though..."Don't F*** with the babysitter!" Some versions of Beetlejuice do, as well.

I'm sure a 9 YO has probably heard/used the word with friends and at school, but still....

A few others:

Mouse Hunt
The Money Pit
Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
Innerspace
Journey to the Center of the Earth (Pat Boone version)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
(my other post got lost in a HD click and XP blue screen. :frowning: New hard drive ordered!! Hope this one lasts until I can get it and install it. Anyway.... )

Thanks. Those really hold up after all these years.

Yes in deed, Ghostbusters is unbeatable if they haven't seen it before.

Innerspace is a superb choice! There's nothing in that one young kids wouldn't love. Awesome effects and funny too. And...if you can get those kids to sit still for Journey to the Center of the Earth (a film I dearly love) then you have some mature little movie watchers there. :D You might could try the classic Robin Hood (which is funny too) and Jason & the Argonauts.

I was thinking HOUSE might be a good choice too. Sort of Evil Dead "lite". It does get a might scary and gory at times, but there is some terrifically clever humor that kids will love. My nephew used to stay over a lot when he was little and he'd watch my tape of that every day. The flying monkeys in Wizard of Oz had him crying to turn the movie off but he loved the heck out of HOUSE. Go figure.

Secret of NIMH is also a great old kid's movie. If they don't mind the 2D animation they will be in for a treat. I saw it in my early teens, it confused me a little since the story is somewhat adultish, but that didn't matter since much of it came through. It has perhaps the best sword battle this side of Princess Bride!! And...another good one! Princess Bride!!

mark alan

Supporting Actor
Great suggestions everyone. I think we will go with

home alone
goonies
monster squad
mom and dad save the world

as the selections.

As for House, I love that movie, but would get skinned alive if I showed an R rated movie to a bunch of 9 year olds.

home alone has to be one of them. My son watched it 2 weeks ago and I thought he was going to have a seizure from laughing so hard. He definitely wants it at the party.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I don't know about for boys - I have nieces - but they were rather fond of Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (the first; what was the second, Bogus Journey?)

Leo

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
That's a terrific stack of flicks. Well rounded. Let us know how it goes.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
When Home Alone first came out on video, my dad had just had a hernia operation, and was still stapled up. We were laughing so hard that he was in pain, thinking he was going to bust the staples out.

The seizure comment reminded me of that.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Any of the Ernest movies are good to watch with the kids.

Ernest goes to camp

Ernest goes to jail

Ernest gets scared

all good choices!

Stand by me is a good movie, although I can't remember how bad the language is in that film as it has been a while since I watched it.

Space Camp

Howard the Duck

Disorderlies (it stars the Fat Boys)

Fantastic Voyage (just watched that one with my 9 year old and she loved it)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
My niece adored the Ernest flicks when she was a kid. I bought her a whole stack and she associates them things with ME! :frowning: Luckily I also gave her My Neighbor Totoro for xmas one year and she watched it about 4 times on xmas morning.

Im thinking Stand by me would be a little much for 9 years. I saw it at 15 or so and when they get to "their destination" (avoiding spoilers) I found it very disturbing. I think 13+ it would be absolutely perfect. But it's somewhat depressing (but in a necessary way) once the credits roll.

Mark should throw in an Ernest! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks