What's new
World Wide Stereo

Advice on Boston Acoustics Micro speakers & VR500 sub (1 Viewer)

PaulHarvey

Auditioning
Hello -

until recently I have been the owner of the Boston Acoustics VR12 and a pair of the Lynnfield VR30's.

I used these with a VR500 subwoofer and a pair of Boston in-wall speakers (for the surrounds) and had a decent 5.1 system.

I am replacing the VR12 and VR30s with the BA Microcenter and a pair of Micro130x. (due to space considerations)

My question is this:

I would like to continue to use my VR500 subwoofer, but the frequency response of that piece of hardware is 27 - 100 Hz.

The Microcenter goes from 100 - 22000 Hz, and the Micro 130x goes from 80 - 22000 Hz, according to the BA website.

I am set up is as follows: The crossover on the receiver is set to 100 Hz, speaker size set to small, and I use the sub out direct to the subwoofer.

Do you folks think I will have any significant notch around 100 Hz?

I emailed tech support at Boston Acoustics and they basically told me that when they report 80 - 22000 that is all + - 3dB, or basically the flat part of the freq. resp curve. They were very nice and thought I would be OK with this setup, but then again they are trying to sell me speakers. I am just looking for some independent opinions.

I would like to stick with the Micro series as they have the VR Tweeter, which I am totally sold on.

thanks

728x90

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
I agree with you about the Lynnfield (VR) tweeter. It is a fantastic and very underrated tweeter. You have everything set up fine. I will say though that you will notice a HUGE difference in your front soundstage. Especially with the center channel. IMO the VR12 and VR920 (replaced the VR12) are Bostons top two center PERIOD.....not the "new" VRC or the top of the line VRMC. I have heard and auditioned all of them and spent a lot of time with all of them...the 12 and 920 wins hands down. I used to have a Boston Micro set up. I still use the mico "mains" as my surround speakers. They are very capable for home theater....for any music listening.....as with most sats......you could de A LOT better. The Micro center is nice VERY solid speaker but it just will not have the depth that your 12 has.
With all that said though those Boston Micros are fantastic sats. You will not find a studier and heavier sat in that price range.....with as good a tweeter....anywhere. If you had to go that small than you went a very good route.

PaulHarvey

Auditioning
Thanks for the input.

I defnintely had to go small, and I do miss the VR12. The guy I sold it to used it to replace his VR10, and he said he could not believe how much better it sounded.

I already have the Microcenter in place. I sounds great - but it certainly does not have the warmth and depth of the VR12, but it will do the job.

I'm going to see if I can find a pair of Micro 130x on eBay. If I can't find them there in a month or so, I'll just order them from the same place I got my Microcenter.

My brother lent me his old 1980s-vintage Bose AM5 to use as my mains until I get my Micro's.

We really needed the space. Downsizing the speakers is the first step in my plan to convince my wife to get on board with the idea of a big screen high-def TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks