What's new

Advice needed - RP91 or 1600??? (1 Viewer)

David_D

Stunt Coordinator
After existing for a while with an interlaced player feeding my HDTV ready set, I'm about to buy a progressive scan player. However, I'm torn. I can get either the Denon 1600 or the RP91, but I'm having trouble evaluating the tradeoffs.

RP91- Deinterlacing not as good as the 1600, but has the wonderful scaling to feed my TV that locks into full with a progressive signal.

1600- DCDI interlacing should yield better detail and less combing, but no scaling. To get something approaching the correct aspect ratio for 4:3 or non-anamorphic titles, I'll have to switch back to interlaced.

Advice or experiences in making this choice are most welcome.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
If you need scaling, there are really only 3 choices: the Panasonic RP-91; the Denon 4800; HTPC.

The 4800 is an RP-91 with upgraded audio DACs and op-amps and sounds pretty good for CD, HDCD and DVD-A playback. Video quality is the same as the RP-91, it has the same MPEG decoder and de-interlacer. However, a new 4800 typically costs 2-3 times as much as the RP-91.

If you decide you can suvive without scaling, the 1600 is a good player and also has good Audio op-amps and DACs. I don't know much about HTPC's so someone else will have to help you out there.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I've found out (while looking for an RP91 replacement) that the Bravo D1 DVI Player will windowbox (put black bars on the side) 4:3 content. I'm not sure how it will handle non-anamorphic 16:9 material yet, but i can let you know in a few days.

Andy_A

Second Unit
Yeah, I was having the same problem with my Samsung 30 (locks into full mode)--I finally have thrown my hands up and decided to go with an rp91 and a dvd-1600. I was going to keep just the rp91, but I found out it has no bass mgmt. for dvd-audio, which was disappointing. I have a lot of non-anamorphic dvds, though, so the rp91 will come in handy. If I had to do one or the other, though, it would be the 1600 hands down. I'd just look at gradually replacing my non-anamorphic dvds with anamorphic. Hope this helps

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'd definitely be willing to replace my non-anamorphic dvds w/ anamorphic ones, but to date only 3 movies i've owned have been re-released in an anamorphic version (Hunt For Red October, Patriot Games, and Clear and Present Danger). All three were paramount, so hopefully they'll get a clue and atleast re-release Top Gun and Days Of Thunder lol :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks