What's new

ADVICE NEEDED: 5.1 CUBE Speakers (all 6) for $600-$900 (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have a friend who just built a Home Theater

room. He has a new TV, and I am loaning him

an extra DVD player and receiver until he buys

one.

The $600-$900 he has left is budgeted for 6

speakers: 2 main, 2 rear, 1 center, 1 subwoofer.

Yes, I know that kind of money doesn't buy you

quality -- but that is why I am seeking advice

amongst all of you.

He wants small CUBE speakers like the BOSE.

He has a small room and the wife doesn't want

huge speakers.

Perhaps BOSE makes a 5.1 set of speakers in a

more budgeted line for under $1,000.

Can you guys suggest anything? Perhaps a link

to an on-line vendor?

Thanks in advance

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
The Energy Encore system is a set of small speakers that are slightly rectangular, not perfect cubes, but actually are more attractive than Bose. I have demoed them at the Good Guys and they sound terrific. Perfect Vision put them in their top recommended speaker category, the only micro speaker set they put there. MSRP is $1500, but $975 is cheapest online price. This includes a subwoofer. Check shopping.yahoo.com. Energy Take 5.2's are good too, but IMO a little less attractive and don't sound quite as nice. I think they run $600 for the set. Either set will sound better than any Bose set.
Here's a link:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/topsellers/enensys.html

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Ron,
You can find some pretty good cube sized packages from Cambridge SoundWorks . I have not heard them personally but have read many favorable opinions of them on this board. Most likely much better than Bose and a lot cheaper too. I hope that helps.
Dan Hine

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Ron;

I second the Energy Take 5s. I used to own a set of Bose Acoustimass 10 speakers before I wised up. At the same time, a friend of mine owned a set of the Take 5s, which cost him around half the price of my Bose speakers. The truth is, the Energy speakers were far superior even though they were less expensive.

Please, whatever you do, don't point him in the Bose direction.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
There is a company called Gallo Acoustics that make small, 4-inch spherical speakers not much larger than the Bose cubes. Yet the sound is quite good and they have even made the annual "Recommended Components" list from Stereophile Guide to Home Theater. They come in colors so they can compliment different decorations.
www.roundsound.com

Randy Prue

Stunt Coordinator
The best sound, and the best value in small speakers that I have seen/heard just got even cheaper.
From the same company as Energy ... athena. All six for $1,100. CAD dropped to $1,000., and yesterday dropped to $800. at Future Shop in Canada. They sound better than speakers twice their price.
I figured that if their small ones were that good, then their bigger ones should be even better. I bought their largest ones and do not regret it! Their small ones (The Point5 set) are also slightly rectangular, mirror black sides with silver faces. They're very small.
www.athenaspeakers.com

Ron Alcasid

Stunt Coordinator
The Klipsch Quintet seems to have fallen out of favor lately but I think they are still worth considering. MSRP is $899. They are not "cube" seapkers but they are fairly small, attractive and available in silver.
Specs
Gallery

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Ron:
I also second the ENERGY 5.2 system.
You can get the whole system with the subwoofer for $685 at this link: http://www.soundpros.com/energy_home.cfm
I got mine from them 6 months ago and the service was good.
Also check out my HT pics in my signature to get an idea what size they are mounted.
Good luck!

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Oh, and frankly, if I were him, I'd probably get a new wife. Not kidding!

I'm glad my wife and I know how to compromise and support each other.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Ron, I understand the wife thing - it has killed deals I had started, that is to make and sell speakers to guys, who, when they talked to the boss at home, came back and said: "sorry, my wife doesn't want speakers to be seen in the room. That's why Im designing a Bose-Buster system. I just finished the prototype sub with an 8" driver and 100-watt plate amp. The cube design comes next. Your friend probably can't wait until I'm finished and ready to ship, but I'm sure I could do 5 cubes and sub for about $650.

Steve Zimmerman

Second Unit
"I'm glad my wife and I know how to compromise and support each other"

Uh, it sounds like the guy *IS* compromising and supporting his wife. Perhaps in your arrangement it's your wife who does all the compromising?

--Steve

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Uh, it sounds like the guy *IS* compromising and supporting his wife. Perhaps in your arrangement it's your wife who does all the compromising?
Nope, we support each others hobbies to the fullest degree, because we know that life is short and we both want each other to be as happy as possible.
How we arrange this varies depending on where we are living. Currently, the living room is her domain as far as asthetics and the family room is my domain from that respect. But even when we lived in a tiny townhouse, we were always able to find mutually beneficial solutions without either of us telling the other what they can or cannot do.
I guess it helps that neither of us has a big giant bug up our ass. :)

Marc H

Second Unit
Ron,
Also, ask him to consider Axiom's Epic Micro Surround system.
I think it's very musical and open sounding and would be a better bang for the buck over a Take5.2.
Voices are open and real sounding, imaging superb and extremely low distortion across the entire bandwidth. Even adding an extra VPZero speaker for the rear centre would still be within budget too.
Review:
http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/axiom_epicmicro.htm

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
How about the Sony Dream system? It has a dvd/sacd player and the cube speakers for approximately $600.

Eric.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Energy Take5 all the way. However, If he can come up with an extra hundred or so, have him look at Definitive Technology Procinema systems. They are the best satellite/sub systems around.

Christian Speights

Stunt Coordinator
Paradigm Cinema Series? Can't believe that they're not mentioned yet. Could easily believe that I missed it though. Regardless:
Cinema(ng).jpg

CinemaCC(ng).jpg

Not cubes but not BIG either. Plus I think a PDR-8 would fit in that budget also.
PDR_8.jpg

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Have heard lots of good things about Acoustic Research HC6 package as of late, and a great price. Try to give them a demo.

Rich B.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks