1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Advent AV550S, crossover question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brent Cantrell, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Brent Cantrell

Brent Cantrell Stunt Coordinator

According to the specs at this auction, they say this amp has a crossover of 40-120mhz. Does this mean it ignores anything below 40? If so, is there any way to defeat this? I'm curious about using this to power an SVS 20-39 with. Auction is here: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1275321253
    Thanks guys.

2. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

My my my, the goodies people get thier hands on....
    Yes ~ this is a subwoofer plate amp designed to be mounted to the back of a subwofers box. As far as plate amps go, a very decent buy!
    With the SVS you would probley want to build a seperate encloser to hold the amp and run it's speaker wires (one- pos and neg) to the SVS, as the plate amp is square and flat and the SVS is round. Hum-bummer there.
    This amp is built for Advents largest sub by Bob Carver of Sunfire Tecnologies.
    While the Sub itself is not much to brag about this AMP is pretty darn decent, and at 60.00 bucks well worth buying, though the problem dose exsit as to the mounting.
    =========
    Dose this mean it ignores anything below 40?
    ========
    Just backwads of the way your thinking! [​IMG] The cross over allows you to adjust the freq at which you -want the (sub to play) and below. --------
    (keeping the high and mids out)...
    --------
    ~Allowing to help it blend with your mains, center and rears. Most likley 12-db slope, though guessing as this would normally be what is used mass market.
    Tom or Ron might offer more as to useing this amp with thier subs.
    In short I see no problem useing the -Advent Amp-,,, aside from what is stated above about mounting it.
    Hope this helps,
    Geoff

3. Brent Cantrell

Brent Cantrell Stunt Coordinator

Coooool, thanks much, I guess if I'd thought about it I'd realize that about the crossover, but it's been a long day/night. I'm thinking I'd just bolt this to the back of my a/v rack (built myself) so this seems to have my name all over it. Thanks!
    ------------------
    http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...lias=BCantrell