What's new

Adjusting the high cut on my subwoofer... (1 Viewer)

Brad Craig

Stunt Coordinator
I have a range of 50-150hz for the high cut on my Yamaha subwoofer...

In the sub manual it recommends setting the high cut to the mains speakers (aka front speakers, right???) minimum reproducile frequency... It says this frequency can be found in the speakers catalog or owners manual...

Well I found the manual for my two front speakers left/right but am uncertain on the differences in Hz its lists...

For example my Sony speakers are rated as follows...

Frequency range = 60Hz - 20,000 Hz

Cross over frequency = 3000 Hz

So in the case do I set my hz on the high cut to 60???

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
Set the sub woofer high cut to 150 Hz or if possible defeat the subwoofer's crossover. The advice in the subwoofer manual presumes you are feeding the r/l full range signal to the sub and then on to the mains. Most people prefer to use a prefiltered sub-out jack for the sub in which case the sub should not modify it.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=42419
I said:
In the old days people usually wired subs with the full range speaker outputs- the full range signal went to the sub from the receiver's speaker jacks and was filtered inside the sub by a crossover into to 2 freq signals: HI and LOW. The HI freq stuff was sent onto the main speakers and the low went to the sub.
Now- modern receivers do the filtering for you, and send just the subwoofer material out the subwoofer output on the receiver. So instead of getting full range signal that it has to filter, the sub now gets just bass information from the receiver.
Since your receiver is already performing the low pass filtering (again, this just means that the high end is removed, and only the bass remains) so it is usually best just to crank the low pass on the sub up as high as it goes, to make sure it isn't re-filtering the material that was already filtered by the receiver.
Brad... please read the existing threads on this forum-- I have provided you with these EXACT links before, one of which I've now offered to you 3 times!! (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=43685), and you still don't read them-- yet you ask the same questions others have asked and have already been answered.
-V

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks